Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New airport was long overdue, Don Muang could not handle the traffic, and who wrote about walking? ever tried arriving at the old terminal 1 and having to do to domestic at old DM through that heated corridor ?
    New airport is still not finished, Correct, will it ever be? hopefully not.
    Taxi problem I agree is a bit of a zoo, but what I found is tat as you clear the custom area, and go outside, then turn right to the end, there are Limos to rent at the Domestic arrival point, and no congestions
    Bhat 600 to 800 depending on where and what vehicle you get, not bad
    Who really cares about 100 Baht, I know I know it is a few brew, but... After all, the national sport is to get at the Tourists isn't!
    Smoking places on departures is a challenge for those like me who still have not learned to quit, try around the Transfer area, there are three I could count and used, (Even has new seats)
    Asta la byebye

Comment

many times when there is change, people dont like it-especially when you get older. I think i like DM better as it seems to be closer. maybe it was just more comfortable with the setup. The new airport DEFINITELY has the feel of a Singapore shopping mall. plus for Thailand it is extremely expensive. the emphasis is on shopping and all that bollox. I know a local who work customer service and he claims the employees hate it. it si too expensive to eat there and the staff canteen is not nearly big enough. He said they have had complaints of not enough toilets. I have seen some but not too many. Its easy to get a taxi but then again i always arrive with the UAL flight that arrives at about 2330. Thats the ONLY time to arrive in bangkok!! Interestingly enough it cost me about 180 baht to get home when i arrived (I live nnear Pratunam) but cost about 250 on my return trip TIT I guess.

Comment

Airport problems a safety risk, says report .... Bangkok Post 21 Dec 2006

Suvarnabhumi Airport is beset with problems, some of which threaten the safety of airline passengers, a recent study that will be presented to the Airports of Thailand (AoT) board today has found. The report, conducted by an AoT working group headed by board member Yodyiam Theptranont, said the faults were due to a mixture of substandard construction, poor management and manipulation of the designs and materials.

Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said the AoT would also listen to the findings of representatives of airlines using the airport.

The AoT board will discuss all the findings with the airport's designers and contractors next Tuesday and try to come up with a range of solutions.

Mr Sansern said his ministry will put together another working group to help AoT solve problems at the new airport.

Mr Yodyiam's working group reports that Suvarnabhumi airport lacks ''as-built'' drawings, of what was actually built, rather than what was planned.

The report says up-to-date and accurate plans of the airport's actual construction and layout are essential for future checks and maintenance.

Without an as-built drawing, building maintenance would be difficult and, in case of emergencies, people's lives would be put at risk, the report says.

Apart from the risk, visitors' convenience has also been heavily compromised with the airport already open for business despite being incomplete.

The working group has put together an extremely lengthy list of complaints and deficiencies along with a list of recommendations to fix the problems.

The long list of complaints and problems includes a lack of toilets in passenger terminals which are also inadequately equipped.

The working group concludes that many passages are too narrow and waiting areas for the reception of arrivals are too small due to the expanded space for shops. Concourses are also too remote, forcing passengers to walk too far.

Some corners of the airport are hot due to inadequate air-conditioning and possibly substandard glass roofing, which in some places has caused leaks. The working group recommends the replacement of roofs or installation of sunshades.

Revolving glass doors are also inconvenient and impractical, the report says. Ten out of 26 revolving doors have been damaged and are dangerous as they are not fitted with safety glass.

The working group recommends two layers of sliding doors to replace the current revolving doors.

The terminal structures and floors are dirty and inconsistently coloured due to substandard construction and ineffective inspection, it says. Uneven floors can cause accidents and joints between floor slabs are wide enough to catch trolley wheels. The glass walls are also dirty because cleaners cannot reach all the panels.
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

In Nov. arrived on EVA at the end of wing it was a 15 min walk using moving side walk. Walked up to immigration no line wam-bam into luggage area. There was a 20 min. wait for luggage collected the bags into arrival area hooked up with girl friend and 2 of her kids.
          Down the big escalator to taxi area, into a big taxi off to Suk. 45 min. total.
          In April it took me 2 hours to get thru customs at DM, good ridance.
          Headed for Myanamar on the 10 Nov. the biggest problem was finding your check in gate, no signs or directions. Do not be afraid to use the info. desk they were helpful.
          Back from Myanamar a 747 from Japan was in the same arrival area customs a bit crowded but not as bad as DM about a 15 min. wait in line then off to baggage claim. Our bags already on carousel, grabbed the bags down to taxi about 1 hour from landing to taxi.
          Since I stay at Thong Lor my taxi time isn't bad about the same as from DM, price a little more.

Comment

Folks you wll find secuirty is not going to change much conference held in singapore recently is that thais think secuirty is fine

Comment

This was in the news again today,
              "Thailand’s military government is considering reopening Bangkok’s old Don Muang airport to ease the burden on the new Suvarnabhumi airport, which is already operating at or near capacity at peak times."

Comment

I always liked the golf course on the runway at Don Muang  -  only in Thailand!   But it was time they did something about the place.

So far I have only been in/out of the new airport once but I agree with most of the negative comments above.

I think it's a long walk to/from the gates.
                Not enought toilets and they are way too small.
                The whole place was still covered in dust from building work.
                There were unfinished corners including exposed electrical fittings.
                Uneven/slippery floors - the metal walkways at the car park lifts and entrances I think are an accident waiting to happen.
                The signs were confusing  -  and supplemented by bits of paper stuck on with sticky tape.
                The change in the security arrangements are a big improvement  -  don't be fooled they are much better than before but less visible.

I saw Changi about 3 weeks after it was opened  -  my impression there was it was big, well finished and a good advert for Singapore.

All I can really say about Suvarnabhumi is it's big  

RR.
                Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                Kahuna

Comment

New airport faces partial shutdown

Mistakes, graft found in almost all contracts

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK - Bangkok Post December 25, 2006

Poor construction at Suvarnabhumi may force parts of the new airport to be shut down for repairs. This would open the way for the recently abandoned Don Muang airport to be re-opened to serve Bangkok's air traffic needs.

Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said yesterday that following a recent report on the problems facing Suvarnabhumi airport, it was likely that part of the new facility would have to be closed and Don Muang airport would pick up the slack.

Some people had suggested the airport, open less than three months, be completely closed for a revamp, with flights being redirected to Don Muang until the improvements are completed, Mr Sansern said. He was opposed to that. Trying to move everything back to Don Muang would cause chaos.

The Council for Democratic Reform _ now the Council for National Security _ asked about the readiness of Suvarnabhumi airport just after the Sept 19 coup, but executives of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) had insisted the airport was ready for the scheduled Sept 28 opening.

Opening the airport before it was completed had inevitably led to problems. If the opening had been delayed to allow work to be finished properly, the airport would have started on a more solid footing.

The new AoT board appointed after the coup has discovered physical and managerial problems at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Board member Yodyiam Theptranont, who heads a sub-panel investigating the problems, said the repairs would take a long time. He could not give a timeframe.

Mr Yodyiam's report to the AoT board outlined a lengthy list of complaints and deficiencies, along with a list of recommendations on fixing the problems.

The report attributed the faults to substandard construction, poor management and manipulation of designs and materials.

The report said the airport's information technology facilities were incomplete and the upper floors of the car park building have no drains, causing rain water to flow into elevator shafts.

Over 1,000 lamps had already burned out and not been replaced.

Mr Yodyiam said AoT lacked an official with direct responsibility for the airport's construction, which had posed an obstacle in getting swift repairs.

Another AoT board member, Tortrakul Yomnak, said many areas need repairs and a partial closure was likely.

Chaisak Angsuwan, director-general of the Civil Aviation Department, said that due to the persistent problems, the department could not issue a permanent licence for Suvarnabhumi airport.

It would, however, extend an interim aerodrome certificate for the airport for another six months in January, he said.

Mr Chaisak said the airport needed to meet all physical and operational requirements before it could be given a permanent certificate.

There were many cracks in the airport's taxiways, some serious and some not, and repairs would be time-consuming, he said. Many operations staff also have no expertise in using their equipment.

Adm Bannawit Kengrian, chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's committee on Suvarnabhumi airport, said his panel had discovered mistakes and irregularities in almost all the airport's contracts. Names of those believed responsible would be announced in two weeks.

Specifications in some contracts had been distorted, he said.

Salaries paid executives of the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel were unusually high. Despite its claimed five-star status, the hotel had plywood doors.

An inexperienced contractor operated transformers that supply power to visiting aircraft and six transformers had burnt out. The cost of digging ditches around the airport was inflated to three billion baht and hiring security guards to five billion baht.

Any contracts where corruption was found would be scrapped, he said

Comment

Well..I've been in the construction business for large projects and my first impression, when landing at Suvarnabhumi, was of a building that was falling into pieces even before having open it. Bluntly substandard materials and construction faults could be spotted almost anywhere.
                    Damn I was right...
                    Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Amazing Thailand.

A classic T.I.T.

Comment

New York Times did a big write up on it today

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006....d=print

Comment

Mr. Fuller and the New York Times should be ashamed of themselves. That was a reharsh of 3 or 4 different articles printed in the last few months and some of it copied word for word. disgusting.

Comment

Back to the negativity again I see.

Anyway, for those that are interested the pizzas and sandwiches at the restaurant area in the domestic terminal are excellent quality.

One of the best pizzas I have ever had in Thailand.

There is tonnes of stuff in International but as I am sure there may well be a few people in transit over the holidays be sure to pay a visit. Plus it has an excellent outdoor smokers dining area.

Bon apetit.

Comment

Back to the negativity again I see.
                              Reality I would call it......they are REALLY thinking about partially closing it
                              Mister Arse

Comment

Passed thru for the first time yesterday, all seemed to go well, ( more than I can say for Heathrow!! ), immigration was quick & efficient, baggage was thru' by the time I made it to the carrosel. I just can't be bothered with taxi hassle when I am on holiday so just grabbed the AOT limo service. Got virtually brand new Isuzu SUV for the trip to Pattaya, which would have been little more than hour had the traffic been less.

All in all so far so good, place looks OK too.
                                Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

Working...
                                X