Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline Awards 2006

Hi Guys,

For all you guys that travel thousands of miles every year heading to the delights in LOs I thought you may have some interest in this website I found. It covers all the airlines of the world, rating them in economy class right through to Business and First Class. For those who like a little extra comfort the description of flat beds in business class was very helpful.

Best Airline in 2006 - British Airways
    Best Airport 2006 - Changi Singapore

Great reading for the travel buffs!

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/index.htm

Don't pay any attention. There are so many airline awards in the world nearly every major airline wins one at some stage.

This made me laugh:

THAI AIRWAYS are named as the World's Best Cabin Staff in 2006 survey
    LOL - What a joke. How can TG be better than SQ, CX, Qatar Airways etc. etc. The service on China Airlines is even better than TG. Never base your airline choice on any award.

Comment

I'd agree with the overall findings - in my experience (SQ PPS Gold, TG Gold, AA Platinum) and having undertaken more than 3,000 flights in last ten years - i'd say its pretty accurate.     However of course, what you have to understand is the 'source market' of the voters and what is their first language.    Skytrax is a website in English - so if for example, you wont have many Germans voting Lufthansa as the site is not in German, this means that the profile of voter tends to be from an English speaking country, hence the results can appear slanted in favour of those carriers servicing English speaking markets.    For the most part, I'd say they are leisure travellers - but certainly nothing wrong with TG cabin staff and a lot more leisure travellers will be flying on TG into and out of BKK than ion SQ into Singapore.    So if they are just counting total votes, its easy to see how they get there.   Also whats to say that the voters have ever even been on an aircraft.   Cathay Pacific, while having a popular following, probably pick up votes because people 'have heard' they are good without actually ever having flown on them.      But overall, i'd say its pretty reflective of the overall state of airline quality based on actually having flown numerous times with pretty much every airline.  

Cheers
      Mardhi

Comment

My experience is that most airlines give good in-flight service when the flight isnt full, but struggle to keep up standards when it is.

As with most customer service, you only really know by the way they deal with enquiries, problems & complaints - then you find out if you are a valued member of their loyalty scheme... or just a damned nuisance  
        TT

Comment

I have no complaints about any of the major airlines but I don't fly enough to be a good judge.

But American Airlines have easily the worst service bitches on the planet. Avoid these witches at all costs.

Comment

i allways use emirates[gold member]
            move my offpeak xmas day ticket to this sat no problem
            i agree with what most people say you got to join a airline frequent flyers club then flying becomes fun
            in love with nat

Comment

(mardhi @ Dec. 15 2006,13:21) .....and having undertaken more than 3,000 flights in last ten years - i'd say its pretty accurate.    

That makes almost a flight a day..what do you do in life mardhi??
              Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

(newcomer @ Dec. 14 2006,16:39) Hi Guys,

For all you guys that travel thousands of miles every year heading to the delights in LOs I thought you may have some interest in this website I found. It covers all the airlines of the world, rating them in economy class right through to Business and First Class.  For those who like a little extra comfort the description of flat beds in business class was very helpful.

Best Airline in 2006 - British Airways
                Best Airport 2006 - Changi Singapore

Great reading for the travel buffs!  

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/index.htm
                No mention anywhere of EVA?

Best experience flying for 47 years!Always a great flight in all areas!!!

Comment

My first international trip on American Airlines was my last on an American carrier except Southwest Airlines(I have stock). I have enjoyed traveling on British Airlines, Thai Airlines, China Airlines, Korean Airlines, the best Singapore and now I only fly EVA from the States. They are not in the same class as a Singapore Airlines but they have economy delux which gives my fat ass more room to spread out in. Last year I changed my departure from Bangkok 2 times in one day and they were great no charge. I would highly recommend EVA.

Never ever fly an American Carrier International, I will fly Korean first.

Comment

Not only that, but from SFO they're considerably less expensive than any other airline...I recently booked on EVA for $777 usd when all the other airlines wanted $1100 to $1400 usd....
                    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

(mdavidsf @ Dec. 16 2006,00:38) No mention anywhere of EVA?

Best experience flying for 47 years!Always a great flight in all areas!!!
                      Look more closely - "A 4 Star airline"

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/BR.htm
                      seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

All you frequent flyers should really consider Qatar Airways to Bangkok if it is an option. One of the best business classes in the world and amazing service.

Beats Emirates 2-3-2 config without a problem, and they are nearly all brand new planes.

As for TG's service. It used to be good, and I used to fly a LOT with them but no more.

Only good thing about TG now is there new check in - immigration - straight to lounge facility for Business and First Class at Suvarnabhumi. That is seriously cool.

Comment

As far as TG cabin staff is concerned, and I just found this out, they have a bad reputation with Thais themselves. they claim al lot of the time they look down their noses at native Thais. they make a hell of a lot more money than Thais do and its a staus type job.

As far as US carriers, they have their own problems many of which have been widely documented.

as far as owning LUV stock, yeah they make money but for the past year its funny the stock has gotten its ass kicked but the legacy carriers!! its going to be VERY interesting the next few years. becuase of my job, I was recently given stock in my airline UAUA and promptly dumped it. I would never hold an airline stock for the long term. There are so many other better companies/sector to own IMHO.
                          BE CAREFUL OUT THERE AND FLY SAFE!!

Comment

My favorite international airline is SQ.

My favorite domestic is Jet Blue.

my favorite big airport is the new Thai one cause of 600 baht per hour massages. Runner up is Chiangi cause of free internet terminals.

favorite small airport is Ko Samui.

as far as flying my prioritiies are price (which includes ff plan), comfortable seats, and lots of on demand entertinment.

Comment

(Looker @ Dec. 15 2006,23:38)
                              (mardhi @ Dec. 15 2006,13:21) .....and having undertaken more than 3,000 flights in last ten years - i'd say its pretty accurate.    

That makes almost a flight a day..what do you do in life mardhi??  
                              Amazing but true - I used to do many two legs flights (in & back) in a day and would often be away for 300 nights a year in hotels. made great news for frequent flyer miles and exploring many hotel restaurants on company expenses but finally took it's toll when I got Deep vein Thrombosis and had to stop doing that kind of schedule.

Cheers
                              Mardhi

Comment

Working...
                              X