Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished Bob Dylan's "Chronicles Vol.1"..... probably a must read for a Dylan/music fan, he's a good prose writer as well. He just picked 5-6 episodes/eras of his life & expounds in depth on his take on what happened. Whats interesting is whats omitted, seemingly big events aren't mentioned.... but he expounds on Gorgeous George (the wrestler) or why he hated the 60's counterculture. Interesting insights on a still vital artist.

Comment

• Street Knowledge by King Adz

Excellent book about street culture,design and underground people and the underground movement.

The type of book you can dive in and out of. Will not appeal to everyone!
      i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

• ALong those lines, Marshal, have you seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It's the documentary about Banksy and friends. These are are street/ graffiti artists. Really worth seeing just for the cappers they pull off. And of course, their commentary about the commercialization of art. Great movie.
        "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
        Salin' on a summer breeze
        And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
        -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• "Life" by Keef. Somewhat a little to technical for me since I'm not a guitar player but I soak up anything that is The Rolling Stones.

Comment

• Ripped through 2 books while I was in Laos and can highly recommend both.

"No more tomorrows''  by Schapelle Corby, the Ozzie girl who got caught with 4.2 KG's of ganja at the airport in Bali back in 2004 and sentenced to 20 YEARS in prison there.  I had always followed that case from a distance and just figured she was guilty like most Aussie's do, but now I believe she is innocent {yes, that WAS the intention of the book of course}.  Great read no matter where you fall on the side of her story.

"Where men win glory''  by the excellent author Jon Krakauer; the true story of Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who turned down millions to go into the army rangers and fight for his country in Afghanistan, and was then killed by friendly fire.   The cover-up by the military and higher-ups in the Bush/Cheney administration are thoroughly uncovered here; it would read like fiction if it were not so nauseatingly true. HIGHLY recommended, Krakauer hits the bullseye every time with his work.

Also read "The Alchemist'' on a long bus ride; an easy read and worth checking out, this extremely popular book is a larger metaphor for life as a whole.
            Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

• (strocube @ Feb. 18 2011,22:15) ALong those lines, Marshal, have you seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It's the documentary about Banksy and friends. These are are street/ graffiti artists. Really worth seeing just for the cappers they pull off. And of course, their commentary about the commercialization of art. Great movie.
              Thanks i will have a look for the film. Have read a couple of books on Banksy and the Bristol scene. Before christmas i read a book on another street artist called Blek, both very good. I will search out the film. Another good film that was shown about six months ago followed the work of Roadsworth a guy from Montreal who stencils road markings.A good watch, it was shown on BBC 4.

Comment

• The best book on the best passenger plane ever made!! I REALLY REALLY enjoyed reading this!

Concorde The complete inside story by Brian Trubshaw © 2000 ISBN 0-7509-3954-0

a couple of others that were pretty good Concorde and the Americans by Kenneth Owen
                He has a number of other books on Concorde which are a great read as well..
                &
                Soviet SST by Howard Moon

Comment

• Right now I do not have anything that I am reading but am doing initial research for a fiction book to write set in Chicago. I am trying to combine facts with some fiction to come up with a usable structure. Since I live here and there is almost always something going on either in politics or intrigue, I figured what a better place to write about. Besides, I know a lot of the heavy hitters in these parts and they alwasys make for for fun! Being a Chicago lawyer always keeps me clued in. Now I just have to get to know the new Mayor as my buddy is retiring!
                  Seize the day because tomorrow is never promised!

Comment

• Joel Robuchon
                    Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

• JaiDee, bought the book " Where Men win Glory" last Sunday the 3rd of April. Finished it today. To me the saddest part of the story was that it was true. To give up all he had, to get killed and then screwed. I love my country but we have some real asses here.
                      TEXASMAC

Comment

• The Cardinal & the Kremlin, Tom Clancy. Before that The 25th Hour, and The City of Thieves - both by Benioff. City of Thieves was an excellent, short read. 25th Hour was good too, but probably more for the younger board members. The Siege of Leningrad is on the burner, along w/ Every Man Dies Alone and Unbroken. Just got a Kindle for traveling. It sure beats lugging around a big book!
                        This has been a great trip filled with enlightening adventures, complete relaxation, and absolute fuck festivities! Enjoy.

On a quest for the finest...

Comment

• Just finished Backpacker by John Harris. If you love Thailand and the east it might appeal but will probably appeal more to the next generation of koh san road Muppets. The book is very readable and shows why you do not piss off Thai organised crime. No doubt the next breed of muppets to hit Koh san Road and the islands will take this tale as gospel and do there very best to to get banged up in some Thai prison or worse still piss off the local criminals.

Comment

• This is a great little guide. The authors leave the ultimate decision "up to you". Well referenced and interesting read. Pacman, get it out of your local library.

The rough guide to Conspiracy Theories by James McConnachie and Robin Tudge 001.9MCCO
                            ISBN 978-1-85828-281-7 © 2008

Comment

• (Torurot @ Jun. 03 2011,05:45) Pacman, get it out of your local library.  
                              What's a library?        

Seriously, I will look for it. 480 pages & published in September 2008 so up to date. Or reasonably so given how fast the world changes.

I'm a bit disappointed that JFK is covered in less than 10 pages. That sounds more like a synopsis to me.

Thanks Torurot for the shout-out...        
                              Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

• The Banquet Bug By Geling Yan ISBN:1-4013-6665-1 © 2006

Clever little story about a guy who eats flash food at Banquets, pretending to be a journalist in Beijing, then becomes one.... mayhem results.....

Comment

Working...
                                X