First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a thead about books and Bigmick gets all excited
    No honey, no money!!

Comment

(69billy @ Jun. 05 2008,00:56) Just remembered..If you like reading you don't have to carry heavy books with you from home...In Pattaya go to Tops Supermarket, upstair there is a second hand book store..You can buy one and when you finish it you can take it back and get a money off on your next book..
      And they do have a lots of books...
      In South Pattaya, same same concept at Thais 4 Life near Yensabai Condo. Most books are 80 baht and you get 40 baht back on return. Proceeds benefit charity.

Comment

I get through about a book a week. If I didn't spend so much time reading these forums it could well be more.

Here are a few recommendations.

Any of the three Bangkok cop stories by John Burdett. Bangkok Eight, Bangkok Tattoo and Bangkok Forgottenthename. Great holiday reads. Good thriller stories, often very funny and great, great insights into Thai culture and mentality. Bangkok Tattoo is set mainly in a GG bar in Soi Cowboy. It will definitely ring a bell with you guys!

Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris. A brilliant pisstake of the boredom and paranoia of office life, set in an advertising agency in Chicago where they're making redundancies and everyone's wondering who's next. One ingenious aspect of it - there's something unexplained that slightly bothers you all the way through and makes you wonder about it, and it's suddenly, brilliantly made clear in the last three words of the last sentence of the last chapter.

My all time favourite, which I've read and re-read endlessly is the quartet of books by John Updike about a guy called Rabbit - Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux, Rabbit Is Rich and Rabbit At Rest. He wrote one book per decade from the 50s to the 80s and, as well as being the most amazingly insightful story about one strange, fucked up, selfish but somehow very endearing guy, they're also brilliant commentaries on America in that decade. John Updike is arguably the best American writer of the last century; many critics think so. I don't understand why he isn't much more well known.

And two good bookshops in LOS; there's a fantastic one in Emporium Shopping Mall in BKK. I think it's on the 5th floor. It's as well stocked as even the biggest London shops. And last summer in the little bookshop in Jomtien, a few doors down from the 7-11 facing the beach, I was amazed and overjoyed to find the current issue of Viz comic!

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Jun. 06 2008,14:29) a thead about books and Bigmick gets all excited  
          same same as you and Otho

I keep on the book-a-week pace, it clears ones head and gets you off into another world where the problems and minutiae of day to day life just dissappear; on vacation I find few things better to do than sitting under a tree or at a waterfall with a good read.

Not mentioned here, but quite enjoyable; "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt, about growing up in Limerick; read it 3 times
          Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

(kahuna @ Jun. 06 2008,09:21) For the past several months I've been reading "How to Take a Thread Way Off Topic" by Naang Faa and Pacman...Seems to be one of those never ending stories...
            In a complete co-incidence I am reading Michael Moore's Stupid White Men, & there is no reference to kahuna there, intended or otherwise.      

After that I will look for a tale about ornery old men who want to wreck beautiful relationships between star-crossed lovers.        

With a title like "Mr Miserable goes to Thailand" or "How I destroyed the lives of 2 people I hardly know" ....

they are sure to be best sellers          
            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

One of my fav topics. Well, MUST reading is COFESSION OF A BANGKOK PRIVTAE EYE. Great, quick read and will put you in an LOS frame of mind on the way there. If you STILL igve these girls money after reading that, well, maybe you still might fork over money for bar investments while you are there!!!

Just finished reading a frightening book called RED STAR ROGUE about a rogue Soviet submarine K-129 that was sunk 400 miles form Honolul in March 1968. Evidence suggests it was a rouge sub that sunk itself while attempting a nuke stirke on Pearl harbor. Scary and interesting at the same time. Had that happened, I wold have never had the chance to schtuck a ladyboy!!

Have a couple lined up as I am making the trek form new york to bangkok next week. Firt out of the box will be CONFESSION OF A MAFIA KILLER shut up JD!! Looks a fascinating read. Next is a new book called SPY WARS. Guess what that one is about...

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
              Be careful out there!

Comment

(kahuna @ Jun. 06 2008,09:21) For the past several months I've been reading "How to Take a Thread Way Off Topic" by Naang Faa and Pacman...Seems to be one of those never ending stories...

https://theladyboyforums.com/cgi-bin....;st=20;
                That is a very thick book
                "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

It's the greatest love story never told ........

[do you think I should tell Naang ??]          
                  Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(jaime24 @ Jun. 05 2008,16:15) let the right on in by john Ajvide lindqvist, both very good reads
                    That guy lives 5 mins from me, it´s set there too , Blackeberg. They just made a movie of it.

Funny, i didn´t even know it was available in english.
                    "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

(pacman @ Jun. 07 2008,00:24)    It's the greatest love story never told ........

[do you think I should tell Naang ??]          
                      Hell yeah, do it here in this thread
                      This thread has been too ON-topic for you two

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

(Otho @ Jun. 06 2008,16:49) Any of the three Bangkok cop stories by John Burdett. Bangkok Eight, Bangkok Tattoo and Bangkok Forgottenthename.  Great holiday reads. Good thriller stories, often very funny and great, great insights into Thai culture and mentality. Bangkok Tattoo is set mainly in a GG bar in Soi Cowboy. It will definitely ring a bell with you guys!
                        Great books those , I read all 3 in quick succession .

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins is very interesting , just a shame the author is a pretentious twat .

I like reading biography's of interesting but slightly mad people , one of the best I've read is- Dear Boy : The Life Of Keith Moon by Tony Fletcher which is funny and tragic in equal measure , the story of rocks wildest superstar .

Evil Spirits - The Life Of Oliver Reed is also one hard to put down .

A Season In Verona is also a great read , the diary of an English journalist who supports Verona football club and spends his year with his kids supporting them all over Italy , a great insight to Italian culture and politics and passion for football , probably the best book I've read recently .
                        Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

The Appeal by Grisham

love all his books as they are so easy to read.
                          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

(JaiDee @ Jun. 06 2008,08:26)
                            (bigmick22 @ Jun. 06 2008,14:29) a thead about books and Bigmick gets all excited
                            same same as you and Otho

I keep on the book-a-week pace, it clears ones head and gets you off into another world where the problems and minutiae of day to day life just dissappear; on vacation I find few things better to do than sitting under a tree or at a waterfall with a good read.

Not mentioned here, but quite enjoyable; "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt, about growing up in Limerick; read it 3 times
                            I found it very bleak and depressing. I much referred the follow-up when he made it to New York - think it was called "'Tis". If you haven't read it, you should
                            No honey, no money!!

Comment

(sev7en @ Jun. 07 2008,00:25)
                              (jaime24 @ Jun. 05 2008,16:15) let the right on in by john Ajvide lindqvist, both very good reads
                              That guy lives 5 mins from me, it´s set there too , Blackeberg. They just made a movie of it.

Funny, i didn´t even know it was available in english.
                              was voted one of the books of the year in 07 in Australia, and really enjoyed it, a modern take on the vampire theme, and one of those books you want to get to the end to find out what happens, but when you do whish there was still more to read,

and hope they dont mess with the story line to much in the film as it could be a great film, and hope its a non hollywood job as i think they woud kill it
                              and have to ask is Blackeberg really like it comes across in the book?

Comment

(jimslim @ Jun. 07 2008,00:28)
                                (Otho @ Jun. 06 2008,16:49) Any of the three Bangkok cop stories by John Burdett. Bangkok Eight, Bangkok Tattoo and Bangkok Forgottenthename.  Great holiday reads. Good thriller stories, often very funny and great, great insights into Thai culture and mentality. Bangkok Tattoo is set mainly in a GG bar in Soi Cowboy. It will definitely ring a bell with you guys!
                                Great books those , I read all 3 in quick succession .
                                the other one is Bangkok Haunts, ive read them too and really enjoyed them and as you say can be funny but also give you a bit of an idea about the thai view point to life,
                                and love his Junior who wants to be LB

Comment

Working...
                                X