Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(thaibound @ Sep. 04 2008,23:58) and if lefty can pull this one off and get a win out of miami he'll be way ahead for the rest of the season since eventually everybody has to pick everybody -- including miami. no?
    If Lefty pulls this off he'll be sitting pretty

but with about 20 enrtries it's doubtful this pool will last longer than 8 weeks or so. Guys will get knocked out in the first few weeks especially if there's lots of upsets.

Comment

i'm liking the eagles almost as much as the powerhouses indy, new england, dallas, san diego, so i'll go with phillie first up and try to last 6 weeks anyway.

philadelphia

Comment

if i was to pick a team it would be Chicago bears.

In the 80's i love to watch the fridge playing,
        Attached Files
        i love t-girls

Comment

COOL I guess the brass at ATS actually READ their e mails!!! I am SOOOOOOO tempted to take the Bretts for week 1 just because my nemisis, Lefty, took the Fish!!! But it might be wiser to take a better team. Will have a think about it and get back to youse tomorrow. Too bad the prize couldnt be, like, your choice at GUESS or something more valuable but who the hell am I to argue??
          BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
          Be careful out there!

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Sep. 06 2008,06:30) COOL I guess the brass at ATS actually READ their e mails!!! I am SOOOOOOO tempted to take the Bretts for week 1 just because my nemisis, Lefty, took the Fish!!! But it might be wiser to take a better team. Will have a think about it and get back to youse tomorrow. Too bad the prize couldnt be, like, your choice at GUESS or something more valuable but who the hell am I to argue??
            BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
            I'm your nemesis??

nem·e·sis (nĕm'ĭ-sĭs) pronunciation
            n., pl. -ses (-sēz').

1. A source of harm or ruin: Uncritical trust is my nemesis.
            2. Retributive justice in its execution or outcome: To follow the proposed course of action is to invite nemesis.
            3. An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.
            4. One that inflicts retribution or vengeance.
            5. Nemesis Greek Mythology. The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance.

Nemesis (in Greek, Νέμεσις), also called Rhamnousia/Rhamnusia ("the goddess of Rhamnous"), at her sanctuary at Rhamnous, north of Marathon, in Greek mythology was the spirit of divine retribution against those who succumb to hubris, vengeful fate personified as a remorseless goddess. The name Nemesis is related to the Greek word νείμειν, meaning "to give what is due". The Romans equated the Greek Nemesis as Invidia (Aronoff 2003).

Nemesis is now often used as a term to describe one's worst enemy, normally someone or something that is the exact opposite of oneself but is also somehow similar. For example, Professor Moriarty is frequently described as the nemesis of Sherlock Holmes.

nexorable divine retribution is a major theme in the Hellenic world view, providing the unifying theme of the tragedies of Sophocles and many other literary works. In some metaphysical mythology, Nemesis produced the egg from which hatched two sets of twins: Helen of Troy and Clytemnestra, and the Dioscuri, Castor (Kástor) and Polydeukes (Polydeúkes).

The only sense in which nemesis is used in Homer is as an abstract personification. Hesiod states: "Also deadly Nyx bore Nemesis to afflict mortal men." (Theogony, 223, though perhaps an interpolated line). Nemesis appears in a still more concrete form in a fragment of the epic Cypria.

She is the implacable executrix of justice: that of Zeus in the Olympian scheme of things, but it was clear she existed before him, for her images look similar to several goddesses like Cybele, Rhea, Demeter and Artemis.

As the "Goddess of Rhamnous", Nemesis was honored and placated in an archaic sanctuary in the isolated district of Rhamnous, in northeastern Attica. There she was a daughter of Oceanus, the primeval river-ocean that encircles the world. Pausanias noted her iconic statue there. It included a crown of stags and little Nikes and was made by Pheidias after the Battle of Marathon (490 BC), crafted from a block of Parian marble brought by the over-confident Persians, who had intended to make a memorial stele after their expected victory.

The word Nemesis originally meant the distributor of fortune, neither good nor bad, simply in due proportion to each according to his deserts; then, nemesis came to suggest the resentment caused by any disturbance of this right proportion, the sense of justice which could not allow it to pass unpunished. O. Gruppe (1906) and others connect the name with "to feel just resentment". From the fourth century onwards, Nemesis, as the just balancer of Fortune's chance, could be associated with Tyche.

In the Greek tragedies Nemesis appears chiefly as the avenger of crime and the punisher of hubris, and as such is akin to Ate and the Erinyes. She was sometimes called Adrasteia, probably meaning "one from whom there is no escape"; her epithet Erinys ("implacable") is specially applied to Demeter and the Phrygian mother goddess, Cybele.

A festival called Nemeseia (by some identified with the Genesia) was held at Athens. Its object was to avert the nemesis of the dead, who were supposed to have the power of punishing the living, if their cult had been in any way neglected (Sophocles, Electra, 792; E. Rohde, Psyche, 1907, i. 236, note I).

At Smyrna there were two manifestations of Nemesis, more akin to Aphrodite than to Artemis. The reason for this duality is hard to explain; it is suggested that they represent two aspects of the goddess, the kindly and the implacable, or the goddesses of the old city and the new city refounded by Alexander. The martyrology Acts of Pionius, set in the "Decian persecution" of AD 250€“51, mentions a lapsed Smyrnan Christian who was attending to the sacrifices at the altar of the temple of these Nemeses.

Nemesis has been described as the daughter of Oceanus or Zeus, but according to Hesiod she was a child of Erebus and Nyx. She has also been described as the daughter of Nyx alone. Her cult may have originated at Smyrna.

Invidia (sometimes called Pax-Nemesis) was also worshipped at Rome by victorious generals, and in imperial times was the patroness of gladiators and of the venatores, who fought in the arena with wild beasts, and was one of the tutelary deities of the drilling-ground (Nemesis campestris). Invidia was sometimes, but rarely, seen on imperial coining, mainly under Claudius and Hadrian. In the 3rd century AD there is evidence of the belief in an all-powerful Nemesis-Fortuna. She was worshipped by a society called Hadrian's freedman. The poet Mesomedes wrote a hymn to Nemesis in the early 2nd century CE, where he addressed her

Nemesis, winged balancer of life,
            dark-faced goddess, daughter of Justice,

and mentioned her "adamantine bridles" that restrain "the frivolous insolences of mortals." [1].

In early times the representations of Nemesis resembled Aphrodite, who herself sometimes bears the epithet Nemesis. Later, as the maiden goddess of proportion and the avenger of crime, she has as attributes a measuring rod (tally stick), a bridle, scales, a sword and a scourge, and rides in a chariot drawn by griffins.
            “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
            ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(thaibound @ Sep. 05 2008,14:58)
              (Lefty @ Sep. 04 2008,23:37)
              (smuttleydfs @ Sep. 04 2008,20:02)
              (Lefty @ Sep. 04 2008,02:27) Miami Dolphins
              I guess lefty and I will be leaving early!!!!

Lefty get your other picks in Dude!!!!!

A lot of media types who typically hate on Miami are picking them to win this game.
              Pete Prisco and Paul Zimmerman are a couple who I believe are picking the Dolphins.

This is NOT the team that went 1-15 last year.
              and if lefty can pull this one off and get a win out of miami he'll be way ahead for the rest of the season since eventually everybody has to pick everybody -- including miami. no?
              There isn't enough weeks to pick every team. The season is 17 weeks long since each team has a bye week. There are 32 teams in the league, so even if somehow it lasted the entire season, the most teams anyone would have to pick would be 17.
              ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(Lefty @ Sep. 05 2008,22:11) The only sense in which nemesis is used in Homer is as an abstract personification.
                What he say?
                Attached Files

Comment

Philadelphia.

Comment

JEEEZUS lefty lighten up!! Maybe I should say you and I are sparring partners. Just a bit of banter thats all nothing more nothing less didnt mean any harm or mailice.....

With that said My pick for the suicide pool are the B-R-E-T-T-S BRETTS BRETTS BRETTS!!!
                    I mean the Jets. For the record either Lefty or I will beeliminated after WEEK 1 and I would like to say if the Fish win I hope, with all my heart, that my nemisis ooops I mean my rival Lefty goes on to win the whole shinbang!!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                    Be careful out there!

Comment

PS how come this thread aint in the NFL Comp section??
                      Be careful out there!

Comment

I'm a Bears fan, but sean has picked them
                        So gonna Go with the Pats, loads of Paddys in Boston
                        Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

If I am not mistaken, I believe it doesnt matter what ANYONE ELSE picks. Am I right Smutts/Mr. Pigg?? Although it would get boring if, down to the last two, they continue to mirror each others picks!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                          Be careful out there!

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Sep. 06 2008,22:30) JEEEZUS lefty lighten up!! Maybe I should say you and I are sparring partners. Just a bit of banter thats all nothing more nothing less didnt mean any harm or mailice.....

With that said My pick for the suicide pool are the B-R-E-T-T-S BRETTS BRETTS BRETTS!!!
                            I mean the Jets. For the record either Lefty or I will beeliminated after WEEK 1 and I would like to say if the Fish win I hope, with all my heart, that my nemisis ooops I mean my rival Lefty goes on to win the whole shinbang!!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                            I didn't perceive any malice on your part. My response was just my attempt at my type of humor. I am kind of weird like that ya know.

I know you are a good bloke. Old Jon who founded ATS many moons ago speaks well of you and that's good enough for me. Even though you are not a Democrat, I'd still be honored to share a drink and good conversation with you anytime we should have the chance to meet.
                            ― Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Sep. 06 2008,09:31) PS how come this thread aint in the NFL Comp section??
                              I put it in the wrong thread...maybe a kindly moderator can move this??

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
                              ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Pats
                                You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                                X