Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SI tells us that the best ever clutch QBs are...In descending order...

10. Bradshaw
    9. Aikman
    8. Graham
    7. Marino
    6. Namath
    5. Starr
    4. Brady
    3. Elway
    2. Unitas
    1. Montana

I don't know if Montana was the greatest...but certainly one of them...

On December 7, 1980 I was one of the lucky few to watch him take over a game against the Saints...It was only his second year with the Niners...Steve DeBerg was still the starting QB...

As I recall, Montana didn't start the game...The story goes that he was sick with a fever in the locker room drinking chicken soup during the first half...At the end of the half the score was New Orleans 35 SF 7...

But on that day in 1980 Montana brought the Niners back from a 28 point deficit to a 38-35 victory...The greatest comeback of all time in a regular season game...

A harbinger of what was to come...
    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

did that at Notre Dame a few times as well, eh??

Montana is a must-have on any top 10 or even top 5 list.

Tom Brady number 4 on SI, yaaaaaayyyy!!

{best part; still has 4 or 5 more good years left}
      Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Yep he did...1979 Cotton Bowl in Dallas...ND v Houston...
        and I got it wrong that was the chicken soup bowl not the Saints game...

Best advice, don't get old...the memory goes...along with some other parts...

I was surprised though to see Namath on the SI list and Bradshaw down so low...

And you are right...Brady is gonna be moving up...And there may be some other youngsters
        out there that will find a place on this and other list...
        "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

(JaiDee @ Nov. 10 2009,03:06)

did that at Notre Dame a few times as well, eh??

Montana is a must-have on any top 10 or even top 5 list.

Tom Brady number 4 on SI, yaaaaaayyyy!!

{best part; still has 4 or 5 more good years left}
          And Overrated Saint Peyton significantly aand rightfully absent

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
          ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Dont read this Smutts-Recently someone did a poll (no it wasnt JaiDee) as to who would you rather have Manning or Brady. They polled 20 of the all time great QBs. I think 14 preferred Manning. I agree just dont bite my head off you Brady lovers!! I would say this-You can have first choice and I woud gladly take the one left over.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
            Be careful out there!

Comment

Driving home from work the other day, there was an interesting conversation about all time great QBs in the NFL and also where do the "Big Two" fit in?? There was lots of talk about Marino. The hosts point was, although you must give him some demerits for the fact he nevr won a Super Bowl, that doesnt take away he was an all time great. Agreed.

His point about Manning is that he is closing in on his record 4th MVP and he is on his way to having his 4th (I think) 12 win season. Thats the regualr season and its even more amazing is he (Manning) plays such a HUGE role in the succes of his team. I agree totally. If you took Manning off the Colts they wouldnt be that good. IN fact, they might not even be .500. Whereas if you took Brady off the Pats, well we saw what they did last year. They won 10-11 games didnt they?

Heres the thing about Marino I dont remember. He was a rookie when they made the Super Bowl. How many other playoff games did he play in and what were his performances like?? I dont recall at all.
              Be careful out there!

Comment

Just looked it up. I was wrong, 1984 was Marinos 2nd year and forst full year as a starter. 1983 was his rookie year and took over as started form David Woodley early in the season. That year they lost AT HOME to Seattle-bad loss. IN 1984 they lost the Super Bowl to San Fran.

Miami and Marino were in the plaoffs a lot in the earl 90s.

1990 they lost to the Bills.
                1992 they lost to the Bills
                in 1993 he injured his Achilles.
                1994 the lost to San Diego
                1995 the agina lost to the Bills.
                If you put a gun to my head, I couldnt remember many details about the above games. They lost 3 times to the Bills and I would venutre to guess the the Bills had the better team all 3 times. You know its a tremendous accomplishment that might never be repeated that the Bills made the Sper Bowl 4 consectutive seasons......too bad they didnt win any!!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                Be careful out there!

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Nov. 22 2009,10:43) Dont read this Smutts-Recently someone did a poll (no it wasnt JaiDee) as to who would you rather have Manning or Brady.  They polled 20 of the all time great QBs.  I think 14 preferred Manning.  I agree just dont bite my head off you Brady lovers!!  I would say this-You can have first choice and I woud gladly take the one left over.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                  Actually it was 18 out of 20.............As far as MVP is concerned............There is an ex-boilermaker down in New Orleans that may have something to say about that and a boomer sooner in Minnemotherfuckingsota also.

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
                  ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

I told you NOT to read that.......
                    Be careful out there!

Comment

OK I just put in my vote for Manning. Look at the way he runs the game. Essentially he calls the game like the old school guys did. His numbers are putting him in top 5 or 3 in all siginificant categories and he is not close to being finished in his career. He had yet another unbelievable comeback last week, so sit down Elway. And his team wins. What more do you want your QB to do?

Comment

Man, you just pissed off Smuttley!! Put this guy on ignore Smutts!!
                        Be careful out there!

Comment

[quote]
                          (smuttleydfs @ Nov. 01 2009,07:59)
                          Originally posted by Lefty,Oct. 31 2009,14:52
                          There was never a greater on the field leader than Bart Starr,  
                          Lefty, et al,

HUH? Take a look at the votes, which obviously are demographically skewed. And even with that, my candidate still registers in second place - so far (still plenty of time for the votes to move in his favor).

That quote could apply to only one NFL quarterback - Johnny Unitas! When Sports Illustrated put out its issue after his death, it carried a simple title - The Greatest Ever.

What distinguishes Unitas from every other deserving candidate on JaiDee's list is the fact that he called his own plays. Sportswriters invented the term "field general" to describe him. Add in his incredible toughness, laser accuracy, and workingman's attitude about the game, and you can begin to understand SI's moniker.

Plus, there were those shoes...
                          Best to all,

Ladyboy_Floyd

Comment

Working...
                          X