Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow you guys have got my juices flowing with this thread.

First of all who is the best?? Too tough too call. I never actually saw Joe Louis or Rocky M. I am tempted to say Joe Louis he was remarkable. His KO punch was a straight right that often never traveled more than 8 inchesPOW!!! He demolition of Max Schemling (the 2nd fight Schmeling kicked his ass and stopped him the first fight) was brutal. He had so many title defenses in a row when he was in his prime. The only problem is that he didnt beat great fighters at the time. They called his opponents, THE BUM OF THE MONTH CLUB. The same could be said of Rocky as well. He didnt beat too many good fighters let alone great.

Now Ali beat some very good fighters in his day. The trilogy with Frazier was tremdous. Dont forget he lost about 3 years of his career (near his prime years) when he refused Uncle Sams invite into the US Army.

Joe Frazier never forgave Ali how he treated them all those years back. He still would never talk to him and actually revels in Ali's ill health today. That fight in March 1971 was so much more than a boxing match. It was the establishment guy (Frazier) v the rebel counter culture choice (Ali). The establishment won that night.

About Tyson v Douglas that was, perhaps, one of the BIGGEST upsets in the history of sports. He was a 42-1 FAVORITE if you can believe it. I wonder if anyone laid $42,000 to win $ 1,000?? Douglas kicked the shit out of him as well. That fight is on ESPN Classics a lot and I ahve seen it many times.

Larry Holmes is an over looked heavyweight. He followed a legend and the public never really accepted him but he was VERY good. I remember when he fought Ali. The betting line was almost even because the public LOVED Ali and thought he might be able to capture that magic one more time. Someone close to me in the business told anyone who would listen to load up on Holmes-li was SHOT-well past it. The fight wasnt even competitive and Holmes felt bad kicking his ass like Rocky felt VERY bad when he kicked Joe Louis' ass.

BTW I know Bumpa is winding me up......
    Be careful out there!

Comment

Cassius Clay by far the best Heavy weight of all time, but hate the way he played the Muslim card, when in fact he was being played by the Muslims him self.

In more modern times Lennox Lewis, had bags of skill & talent, but was a tad lazy LOL

Favourite Boxer of all Time ,Thomas"The Hit Man" Hearns
      Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

Max Schmeling

Dieter
        Attached Files
        Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

Maybe the more realistic/controversial question would be who was the *second* best heavyweight boxer of all time. Might as well ask who was the best basketball player of all time.
          Ali/Jordan...but *then* who?

Comment

I'd agree with you there, TB......and I am a Larry Bird fan!!

But Jordan WAS the best.....it makes me laugh to hear people comparing Kobe to him.

Kobe may be top 10....but the top 3 IMO are MJ, Bird and Magic, with the order of Bird and Magic debateable. Lebron will be top 5 before he is done also, for sure.

Seamus is right on also...... the Ali/Clay deal was a disgrace and I HATE desserters/ draft dodgers as much as anyone and frankly I think he joined Islam to avoid the draft, not because he happened to like their religion; THAT is lame

with that said, sports people do evil and stupid shit every day, and if we give those guys a pass {Hello, Lawrence Taylor, Tiger Woods, et al...} we have to give one to Ali also.....so in regards to this thread I have to agree with BB; he missed 3 of his BEST years health-wise and still was the best of all-time, imagine if he boxed during those years??

BB- ''Larry Holmes is an over looked heavyweight. ''

Agreed, but nowhere near Ali's class.

You still haven't picked who you think is the best, man!!!
            Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Lennox Lewis wasnt that good IMHO. In his prime, Holmes would ahve TOYED with him. JD wants me to pick my best all time heavyweight-OK Joe Louis then!!! JD mentioned Jack Johnson! What a charecter-WAAAAAAY before his time!!!

I told youse whom I thought was the best fighter I ever saw.

I do think Ali was sincere in his religious convictions. When he converted he followed that LOONEY KAZOONEY Elijah Muhammad. Screwy Louie Farrakhan took over the helm of the uber radical sect The Nation of Islam. Go figure.

Ali did miss 3 of his prime years but look at it this way-had he actually FOUGHT those 3 years would he have had enough left in the tank to beat the seemingly indesructable Foreman in Zaire in 1974. Big upset at the time.........
              Be careful out there!

Comment

(JaiDee @ May 28 2010,01:18) We were lucky to see that fight man, not a lot of people did; could be the greatest upset in heavyweight history!
                Will never forget it. Freshman in college, in a room of about 20-25 of us watching it. As the momentum shifted, found ourselves cheering on Douglas, all of us sensing, and wanting to witness, a most unbelievable historical moment . . .

Comment

Tyson was on the way to being the greatest. He was not just great, but invincible. Started with Olympic gold, 37-0, knocked out about his first 20 opponents. If he just had stopped there he would surely be the greatest. But then he lost it and ruined his career and becaming a laughing stock. Makes one wonder about Tiger. Also seemingly on his way to being the greatest, but now who knows if Tiger can right the ship like Tyson never could.

I was never an Ali fan. Dancing around hiding behind his gloves most of the time and stealing rounds with a flurry at the end. Yeah it worked, but not the dominant heavyweight style of throwing bombs. No heavyweight sticks out as the greatest though my pick would be Marciano because he went 49-0 with 43 by KO.

Comment

Joe Louis is the undisputed, best heavyweight boxer, of all time.

Rocky Marciano 2nd and Ali a close 3rd.
                    I know you still read here, checking my every post like the psychotic stalker that you are

I lay there in bed thinking to myself, am I gay and then Lusi rammed her cock in my mouth and I thought, who cares this is fantastic!!!

Comment

Tyson's early demise came about because of the death of his mentor and father figure cus d'amato and his subsequent involvement with (the greatest piece of shit of all time)Don King.
                      Tyson would have reigned for years if D'Amato had lived.See "Mike Tyson -the movie"-(one of the greatest boxing movies of all time)for an insight into the life of Tyson.It changed my view of him,and my view of his contribution to boxing,completely.

Comment

you don't think Wilt C deserves consideration as the greatest bball player of all time?
                        Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

Wilt was the greatest whore of all-time, does that count?

I'd say he was top 10 but not as good as MJ ....the biggest rap on him was that he only won 1 title and it came late in his career. Great scorer to be sure though, he averaged 50 points a game in 1962 when all the guys he was playing against were midgets and he was 7'1 or close to it.

Definition of winner; Bill Russell.   Won 2 straight college champiosnhips at the Univ. of San Francisco in '55 and '56, then an olympic gold medal in 1956;  then just the small feat of winning 11 gold rings with the Celtics in 13 seasons, the last 2 as player-coach!

No one will ever win 14 titles in 15 years like that ever again.
                          Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

(travis bickle @ May 28 2010,04:48) Tyson's early demise came about because of the death of his mentor and father figure cus d'amato and his subsequent involvement with (the greatest piece of shit of all time)Don King.
                            Tyson would have reigned for years if D'Amato had lived.See "Mike Tyson -the movie"-(one of the greatest boxing movies of all time)for an insight into the life of Tyson.It changed my view of him,and my view of  his contribution to boxing,completely.
                            A lot of truth in what you write there and despite the much respected comments of others I firmly believe that if handled and harnessed correctly then Mike Tyson would have become as legendary as Clay/Ali.
                            At his awesome best he was as good as it gets and such a shame his world went into demise the way it did......for God's sake the heavy weight division certainly needed him.

Comment

If youre talking a real game,Diego Maradona was the greatest footballer of all time-wasn't shoeless Joe Jackson the greatest baseball player ever then?

Comment

Richard Dunn

Comment

Working...
                                X