Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scam on Beach Road, Pattaya?

Hi guys
    An incident happened this afternoon, maybe nothing sinister, just wondering did it happen to anyone else.

I took 1000 baht out of a TMB ATM on Beach road beside all the fast food joints beside at the mall, name escapes me where Ripleys is.

Anyway I took out my card and cash, after declining the offer of a receipt ( save the environment and all that).

As I was putting it into my wallet, an African guy says you should press the button, not sure which one he pointed to, as it would close the transaction and I would not have to pay a commission.

His friend then joined in, saying same, but I figured something strange in these two dudes being so concerned for my finances.

After a moment they just said too late, and lost interest.  Anyway I went straigt back to my room, called my bank, and their record was just my transaction, phew.

So helpful African tourists or somethig more sinister...if you do press some button on the ATM, does it allow you another transaction even though your card has been withdrawn.

Cheers guys.
    BB

Thanks for the warning BB...I'm always careful around the ATM and tend to use only those
    next to a currency exchange or bank that is open for business...

BTW...TMB has some new annoying policy that restricts foreign debit cards to 5000 baht per transaction...
    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

BB, go back to that ATM and check if there is a Skimming device attached to it, there are 2 things to look out for when looking for a skimming device first, look where u slot ur card into machine, those it look new or see if u can pull out the card slot, and look above the main screen see if u see any screws removed, u may find a tiny camera that watches as u type in ur 4 digit pass code.

and check the main button control, especially around the edges, is it stuck down firm into the machine or is it able to be removed, and contact ur bank to see if unexplained transactions our taken out of your account.

skimming machines are the new age way of ripping you off, and i only use ATM machines in my main bank or inside a business, i would never use one if ppl are hanging around it.
      i love t-girls

Comment

Another thing to watch for is the flashing green light aound the card slot. If a skimming machine has been set up the flashing green light will be obscured.

Always be aware of your surroundings when withdrawing cash from an ATM in ANY country. Skimming occurs frequently in "western" countries too.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I can confirm the above.

Skimming is doing heavy damage!

Not sure how pressing an extra button can help them though.

Comment

(bumblebee @ Jan. 05 2009,18:39) ...an African guy says...
            Erm... I already know the answer!

These sewer cunts should be eliminated as a gesture towards humanity.

If one single one of these savages was to approach me I'd already be on the phone to the tourist police. Two of them - and I'd assume that I was soon to be a dead man.

Nasty filth I can do without, especially in the land of smiles... I come here to avoid this filth, NOT to look for financial advice!

Comment

(Stogie @ Jan. 06 2009,00:47) If one single one of these savages was to approach me
              They only wanted to rob him , not eat him .

Burenboy hasn't enough meat on his bones for the cooking pot
              Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

(kahuna @ Jan. 05 2009,19:29) Thanks for the warning BB...I'm always careful around the ATM and tend to use only those
                next to a currency exchange or bank that is open for business...

BTW...TMB has some new annoying policy that restricts foreign debit cards to 5000 baht per transaction...
                Could be to my advantage if these mothers are up to something

Comment

BTW my avatars ass has never doubled crossed me

Comment

Maybe they wanted to sell you some Amway products.

Comment

My old dear got sucked in by the Amway pyarmid crap a few years back

During october when i stayed in Laos the guys who i spoke with, who reside there were none to happy with the behaviour of the africans who have descended on vientiane like a crime wave!
                      i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

You are right to be aware of what or who is around when making an atm stop. Could be they truly believed there was a way to save on the fee or had a plan to get a chance to dip into your account but anyone coming to you with advice is a huge warning sign.
                        You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Nobody should be watching your ATM activities so closely that they can tell which buttons you have pushed. The fact that they are Africans makes it even worse. Stogie's idea of calling the Tourist Police is a pretty good thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they had over stayed their visas.You would think and ATM inside a mall would be safe but maybe not.

With all the scams and card readers that I constantly hear about in the news I now exclusively use ATMs in banks. An example would be the ATMs at SCB on the 2nd floor of Central mall. They are busy and I don't think it they could be tampered with. I also keep my credit cards, ATM cards and cash in a safety deposit box full time and take the ATM card only when I am going to use it and return it to the box afterward. It's extra trouble but it would be a real headache to lose it.

I just had it friend run into a problem at the JW Marriot in Bangkok when he used an ATM when he arrived and the machine kept the card. He only had $500 cash with him for a 2 week trip. The bank would not send some one out to retrieve the card that night. Finally he had the hotel staff call the bank and they grudgingly sent someone out and he got it back the next day. After that he used it with a teller in a bank so it wouldn't happen again. I may start doing it that way just to avoid the chance of the card getting stuck. I have seen it happen to 2 Thai friends and the banks wouldn't retrieve them and they had to get new cards. This limited experience makes me think it happens regularly so be careful.

Hopefully you were lucky this time and no problems will arise.

Cheers

Comment

Rang my bank again this morning and nothing has been taken out of my account, fingers crossed nothing will happen in next few days.

Comment

(bumblebee @ Jan. 05 2009,22:42) BTW my avatars ass has never doubled crossed me  
                              But I bet she is been trying to suck your brain out..
                              So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

Working...
                              X