Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey BB - how are you doing? It was good to share a few beers with you in November.

Speaking of my last trip, I also had an unusual experience from a scammer. I'd just had lunch in the Sportsman's and was heading back towards second road when some caucasian fellah in vest and shorts stopped me as I passed th Dynasty.

"Hey man, are you English?

"No, I'm Scottish - but I'll let you off."

"Hey, that's funny man. I'm American. Did you see we got a new president today? I didn't vote for him myself - I'm an independent - but I think Obama is good for all of us..."

By this stage I'm just wanting him to piss off and go bore someone else...

"Listen man, I wonder if you can help me out. I just arrived in Pittayas (sic) last night. I met this girl in a bar and, well, you know, ha ha. Anyway, I woke up this morning and she was gone - and so was all my cash. She must have taken about $5,000."

"Sooooooo?"

"Well, I called the Embassy (indicates mobile phone in his holster) and they said there is nothing they can do as they don't have an office here in Pittayas (sic). My bank says they will wire me some money but it won't be here for two days."

"As I said, soooooo...?"

"Well, I'm staying at the Sunshine Hotel (pulls out key with room number clearly shown) so I'm good for the money if you can lend me some so I can at least get a hot dog..."

Now call me a hoary old cynic, but if I'd lost all my cash (and the sum is ridiculous) I doubt the first thing I would talk to stranger about is my political leanings. Secondly, a key means sod all.

"Sorry mate, nice try - I don't give cash to strangers. Word of advice though."

"Not even 100 baht dude?"

"As I said, a word of advice. IF you are bringing girls back to your room, may I suggest you put your thousands of dollars in the same place you stored your mobile phone...."

What a dick - said his name was Mancini.

Wonder if he is still in Pittayas....

Comment

I was approached on second road about 2 years ago by an american with the same story. I just walked away and ignored him

the fact that he's still trying it suggests that it must work from time to time
      No honey, no money!!

Comment

dodgy scams on beach rd..........i wont hear of it
        robbo

Comment

Ah Big Mick - we share another thing in common! I was thinking the same thing. If you ask 50 people a day and 10% actually think they can lend 500baht then it's not a bad income. Bit of a pain in the arse for the hotel and all the visitors looking for Unlucky Mancini.

Comment

I ran into the same asshole last May on Walking Street in mid afternoon.  Same story and he got pissed when I told him nice f---ing try.  It must be working for him if he is still doing it.

Comment

Indeed Thaime.... but you would think by now he would know not to call it Pittayas

Comment

Mancini could pawn his phone for the two days he is waiting for his US bank to fly over with the cash. They must be flying over to deliver it personally because in my experience 'wires' are way faster than that normally. You can eat for a week in Pattaya for 500 baht, right, PD?  

Scammers are easy to brush off... but don't ever shake hands with an Indian tailor!  

Comment

(Grinder @ Feb. 03 2009,16:46) "Hey man, are you English?

"No, I'm Scottish - but I'll let you off."

"Hey, that's funny man. I'm American. Did you see we got a new president today? I didn't vote for him myself - I'm an independent - but I think Obama is good for all of us..."
                  At that point you should have given him the good old Glasgow kiss ( A swift headbutt for the unacquainted )

Failing that a good boot in the marble pouch should serfice
                  Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

A friend of mine told me years ago, ALWAYS cover the pin code area with e.g. your wallet before putting in your pin code if a hidden camera is installed as well. It won't help you up against things like card readers etc, yet it seems to work for me at least in Bangkok.

I will always draw money out in Bangkok before going to Pattaya anyway..

PP

Comment

(Stogie @ Feb. 04 2009,17:10) They must be flying over to deliver it personally because in my experience 'wires' are way faster than that normally.
                      I did a SWIFT just the other day from Canada to Thailand... took only 6 hours for the money to show up in the Thai bank account.

3:00pm Toronto (3:00am Bangkok) Walked into a CIBC branch and started a SWIFT transfer.

9:00pm Toronto (9:00am Bangkok) Money hits SICOTHBK account in Bangkok.

That took only 6 hours!

Comment

Very worrying as I only use ATM's (hole in the wall) when in Thailand !
                        Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

seamus, go back to posts 3 and 4 - these explain what to watch out for if an ATM has been set up for skimming. Remember this can happen in any country, so be careful at home too!

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                          Membership Levels
                          The Rookie Thread
                          New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                          Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

(seamus @ Feb. 08 2009,11:56) Very worrying as I only use ATM's (hole in the wall) when in Thailand !
                            Watch out for the Russians
                            Attached Files

Comment

(BAM @ Feb. 08 2009,21:25) Watch out for the Russians  
                              Here (The Netherlands) it are mostly Romanians.
                              Dutch.

Comment

I've been skimmed TWICE in Thailand in the past 5 years.
                                * LadyboyDolls.com
                                * Third World Media
                                * Black Ops Media

Comment

Working...
                                X