Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (surropan @ Sep. 24 2008,04:17) But for me the best way to find an apt was just hitting the pavement...
    Actually; it's the ONLY way!

Comment

• (surropan @ Sep. 23 2008,16:17) going in every big farang building...
      what's a farang building? one with farangs (exclusively?) living there?

can you spot them walking by? because of english signs/posters or ?

just wondering
      No honey, no money!!

Comment

• There are no 'farang buildings.' There are one or two places that were built and which cater to mainly farangs but they (as you can imagine) are very run down and nobody reading this forum would stay there. (Hi Tech Tower and the Sathorn Saint View are good examples.)

Get a bike and start pedaling because this is the only way to find the best (and most economical) places to live.

But even then you will run up against the same old 'moo barns' that are infested with people that you would not want as neighbors.

My advice is to splash out a bit and get a decent place on a short term lease fairly near where you want to live and THEN look for long term accommodation and one other way to do it is to simply ask people...

Local restaurant owners and bar owners are a good place to start. The lady who does the laundry near where you want to live is a fantastic person to hand off a couple of hundred baht to because she knows a lot of people and she probably knows a few who have extra property that they feel would be safe in the hands of a farang...

Take a Thai person with you (which means buying two bikes - don't worry, they are dirt cheap here!) and be a bit adventurous.

When I left the horrible apartment building that me and Kui had for a few months in Paknam our local bar owner came to the rescue and I ended up staying in a brilliant terraced home for the next four years and my rent was a hundred dollars a month!

Seek and ye shall find!  

We are design all furniture build in with fully furnished rooms for living,tastefully set up for your privacy by architecture experience more then 20 years...
        Quote from the HTT website!

Comment

• (bigmick22 @ Sep. 24 2008,09:18)
          (surropan @ Sep. 23 2008,16:17) going in every big farang building...
          what's a farang building? one with farangs (exclusively?) living there?

can you spot them walking by? because of english signs/posters or ?

just wondering
          I just mean buildings farangs would live in, ie big condo buildings. I just refer to them as 'farang buildings' because every time I take a taxi home they automatically know which building I live in on my Soi, as all the other buildings are your average 3 story Thai shitholes with shopfronts, etc.

Comment

• (Rollo Tomasi @ Sep. 24 2008,09:56) My advice is to splash out a bit and get a decent place on a short term lease fairly near where you want to live and THEN look for long term accommodation and one other way to do it is to simply ask people...
            This is excellent advice-- in fact its crucial. Because finding a good place can take quite some time, you obviously don't want to be staying in a hotel, as it would cost a lot. You can find a passable short term place easily and save lots of money vs a hotel. Also you wouldn't be worrying about mounting hotel bills and pressured into taking something less than optimal.

If you are looking in the Silom area, I recommend King Royal Garden In, right in front of Sathorn BTS for a short-term place. I stayed there for a few months upon moving here. MUCH better than the above-mentioned Sathorn Saint View.

Comment

• I have just spent the greater part of an hour reading the whole thread and would like an update !

Btw , this thread in my opinion and stogie bear comments , remarks have to be the most potent and insightful
              source of information that i have read. ( regarding life and living in thailand ) Every BM should be made to read it !

Kudos to you stogie !

Comment

• Appreciated!

Stogie

Comment

• Found this interesting job recently, which - admittingly partially out of mere curiousity - I applied for:
                  http://www.raffles-education-corporation.com/ > Careers > Business Administration lecturer. 60K a month.

I send them my CV and motivation by e-mail, but havent heard since. It's been two weeks. Should I call, e-mail to get an update? What is the recruitment process like?

P.s.: Am educated at MSc. degree level (cum laude), but have no teaching qualification, apart from giving guest lectures whilst studying / working. Do love teaching though, just pays shit in Netherlands.

Comment

• Good news , the company just dropped me a reply. Need to send over some documents (scans) and then they will set up a telephone interview Anybody any pointers what I can expect from the telephone interview? WOW, pretty interesting...

Right, back to bed for me (sick )

Comment

• I can't help you, but I'd do some HW on the company and make sure its a legit operation.
                      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X