Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not think that the problems at Suvarnabumi are simply a political plot to make the old administration look bad. Cracks in runways and taxiways in a 5 month old airport are unacceptable safety risks, and that is the major reason why the permanent aerodrome certificate will not be issued. By the way that certificate means the airport meets ICAO standards - of course not all major airports have this, but certainly it does mean something when attained and more if not attained.

Cracks on taxiways and runways are not a figment of the imagination, not a political plot and repairs to cracks that crack again or subside (sink) after patching means the problems are serious. Not being able to use a significant number of jetways and forcing passengers to be bussed in because of cracked and sinking taxiways is serious.

Dismissing these reports as propaganda means ignoring safety risks. I am glad that the current administration is looking into ways to permanently repair these problems, and if it means a temporary shift of domestic flights to DM so they can close off runways and taxiways to do permanent repairs so be it.

I am not saying there are no politics involved but certainly safety should come first. Last thing we want is some accident due to these runway and taxiway problems - Thailand has had enough bad news in the last while.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

• (bangkoksins @ Jan. 30 2007,18:12) There are more and much better places to eat at S than there ever were at DM. As for the toilets, I seriously do not get it.
      Are you serious?

Unless things have changed in the past month at S, DM was far superior in terms of food offerings, ease of exit from the facility, taxi queue length, monitor size, and just about everything else in terms of passenger ground services.

S was poorly planned and built far too quickly due to Thaksin wanting to push it through.

I miss the old DM!

Comment

• Visited the Airport Hotel today...and it is nice.

( just felt like I had to say _something_ positive for a chage )
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

• (mardhi @ Jan. 31 2007,20:18) I have not been inside the new airport but if the state of the new highway that provides access to it is anything to go, its not surprising the runways are falling apart.   Since the new airport has been opened, the new highway is continually being re-surfaced with tarmac as its just falling apart.    Funny how the expressways which have been in place for about 10 years are relatively in great condition.      

Cheers
          Mardhi
          the area is full of water.it used to be rice fields

Comment

• pistolero....i support your comments 110%

Comment

• (stogie bear @ Jan. 28 2007,00:11) The whole world is corrupt, but Thailand makes good news copy.  
              and the rest of the world s are jellous of the rapid grouth of thailands economy.

Comment

• I don't think the new airport is as bad as it is discribed in some of the comments.
                I know a lot af international airports which are by far not of the same standart a lot of them not in third world contries.
                I'm traveling quit often in Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia,
                and US sorry guys but the list of the airports which are below the standart of the new airport is almost endless.
                Paris Charles de Gaulle. Very dirty, endless queue.
                Eathrow, always congested.
                Sheremetievo Moscow, dirty, old
                Manilla
                Warsaw, so small
                Not to mention any of the african airports.
                Miami
                And so one.

May I remind the travellers that terminal E in Charles de Gaulle airport collapsed while in operation killing 3 less than 0ne year after it's opening.

So far I will classified the new airport as average as a new airport.

Practice25

Comment

• know a lot af international airports which are by far not of the same standart a lot of them not in third world contries.
                  I'm traveling quit often in Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia,
                  and US sorry guys but the list of the airports which are below the standart of the new airport is almost endless.
                  Paris Charles de Gaulle. Very dirty, endless queue.
                  Eathrow, always congested.
                  Sheremetievo Moscow, dirty, old
                  Manilla Warsaw, so small
                  Not to mention any of the african airports.
                  Ridiculous comparison. When I go through manila airport, I expect it to be crap because it is 20-30 years old. The point is, the Thais spent US$4bn on a NEW, MODERN airport.

My feelings are of complete disappointment......I was so much looking forward to getting a Changi experience going in and out of LOS. Instead I get hassle and queues.

I am going to Manila again next weekend, rather than Thailand, and I havs started paying extra to fly SQ to try to get away from the queues with TG at the new airport in 2 weeks time.
                  Mister Arse

Comment

• what wrong with all of you   s over here.it's a fine airport and many of you will make years to see an airport like that back home.so  

Comment

• PS witch airport is better JFK witch is full of backpackers sleeping on the floor? s

Comment

• (Stewart @ Feb. 03 2007,19:28) The point is, the Thais spent US$4bn on a NEW, MODERN airport.
                        Thats true enough Stewart, but I wonder how much ended up being spent on their airport and how much is know being spent at the local Porsche/Louis Vuiton/Rolex showrooms that should have actually made an airport everyone could be proud of.

Still for me at least Changi remains the worlds best airport as its fast, efficient and calming. Forget the swimming pool, movie theatre etc - I never used those, but what I like about Changi is its predictability as does everybody that travels a frequent amount, hence Singapore is in no real risk of losing all its high salaried and high tax paying regional expats.

Cheers
                        Mardhi

Comment

• From today's Nation:

PASSENGER TERMINAL
                          'Treat the disease, not the symptoms

Architects call for internationally accepted professionals to resolve problems

This week the country's leading architects will meet to ask Airports of Thailand (AOT) to cease its reactionary approach to the problems at Suvarnabhumi's passenger terminal.

They point out fundamental errors in design and space management. Without an independent and comprehensive reassessment, they feel, Thailand is unlikely to get the world-class airport it was promised.

"Thais wake up to one piece of bad news after another about the airport every morning," said Sinn Phonghanyudh, president of the Association of Siamese Architects. "The image is so dreadful that many feel more terrified about going to Suvarnabhumi than about flying itself. Putting in a few more toilets or patching up cracks in the floor tiles is not going to help.

"We need to take a holistic approach before coming up with a solution. The AOT has to make people believe it knows exactly what it is doing instead of just responding to day-to-day complaints," Sinn added.

The association's draft report outlines scores of issues, from the lack of sufficient toilet facilities and appropriate signage to unusable revolving doors, inappropriate plumbing fixtures, lack of employee rest areas, blocked emergency exits, poor climate-control design and overall maintenance challenges.

If it were just a handful of mechanical teething problems, these could easily be tackled, said Sinn. Instead they represent a complete disregard for basic planning and design.

"What's the point of promoting the world's largest [single] terminal if the space is so badly managed that it becomes inconvenient and even unsafe for passengers and workers?" he said. "Passages to the gates have been encroached on by shops, art and other things. In a fire, every little object impedes escape."

He said many architects were disappointed in the overall visual appearance. Instead of complementing the open-air feel intended, there is a clutter of pot plants, random signs, maintenance carts, kiosks and artwork.

In December, an AOT committee headed by board member Yodyiem Theptharanont reported on problems faced by passengers and workers, but Sinn said its approach was still based on individual problems.

Even simple ones like clusters of confusing signs persist despite deadlines for fixing them by last month.

A globetrotting UN official who has used Suvarnabhumi many times told The Nation he was disappointed that it did not live up to government promotion despite many successful new Asian airports to learn from.

"It's dirty and looks like construction hasn't finished, duty-free shop take up too much space, and there aren't enough seats to sit on or enough light to read a paper," he said.

Sinn also pointed out that choices of material like the structural steel used to hold up the roof were decades old from an international design standpoint, as much lighter and more attractive ones have been around for years.

"It only reinforces the perception that we don't have the creative and engineering expertise for contemporary design," he said.

Ten years ago, their association's "Warning: Nong Ngu Hao [Suvarnabhumi] Terminal Design" highlighted many of the problems.

It pointed out that glass and canvas were inappropriate for a tropical climate. Roof leaks, heat and too much light in some areas testify that the warning was ignored.

It said maintenance "will be extensive and difficult. Dust mixing with sticky engine-oil particles from planes in the air will be visible all over the glass walls. Instead of fixing the design, the designer proposed expensive and complicated cleaning equipment."

This appears not to have been installed or utilised, to judge by the dust on the glass walls and facilities. Some areas are virtually inaccessible. As a result the grime is more visible every day.

"I don't know what equipment we have, but we've yet to be asked to clean the inside walls," said a janitor.

The draft report will serve as the basis for an association seminar on Friday with the engineers and builders, the results of which will be presented as final recommendations to the AOT next week.

Sinn stresses that while the association is committed to helping in any way to resolve the problems once and for all, neither he nor the association wishes to play a leadership role.

"Eighty per cent of architects in Thailand have been involved in one way or another with this gigantic project," Sinn said. "There is too much behind-the-scenes history that would impede our ability do the job independently. We need professionals from abroad. The money will be well spent. Suvarnabhumi needs the confidence of the international community, so get internationally accepted professionals to do the job."

Nantiya Tangwisutijit

The Nation

Comment

• (costassg @ Feb. 03 2007,17:59)
                            (stogie bear @ Jan. 28 2007,00:11) The whole world is corrupt, but Thailand makes good news copy.  
                                 and the rest of the world   s are jellous of the rapid grouth of thailands economy.
                            Why do you persist in calling everybody wankers.Lighten up .

Comment

• (vangough05 @ Feb. 04 2007,14:23)
                              (costassg @ Feb. 03 2007,17:59)
                              (stogie bear @ Jan. 28 2007,00:11) The whole world is corrupt, but Thailand makes good news copy.  
                                   and the rest of the world   s are jellous of the rapid grouth of thailands economy.
                              That because he is the wanker.

Love to see the Cyprus airport probably a shack in the middle of a field with a barn full of goats so Costasssg does not get bored whilst waiting for his flight

Maybe he has a blurry picture of it for us?

Comment

• (ozzie @ Feb. 04 2007,06:50)
                                (vangough05 @ Feb. 04 2007,14:23)
                                (costassg @ Feb. 03 2007,17:59)
                                That because he is the wanker.

Love to see the Cyprus airport probably a shack in the middle of a field with a barn full of goats so Costasssg does not get bored whilst waiting for his flight

Maybe he has a blurry picture of it for us?

come here bring you dollars and check it out your self.

Comment

Working...
                                X