German ...Old German Beerhouse Soi 11
    Italian..... Pomodoro Suk Soi5
    Seefood.....Seefood Palace Soi 22 ??
    Fast food ....Mc Donalds you find everywhere

I don´t eat Arab or Indian food.....

Dieter
    Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

(Dieter @ Apr. 18 2008,19:37) Fast food ....Mc Donalds you find everywhere

If anyone up for a decent korean feed, korea town on Sukhumvit road between soi 10 and asoke bts has some good little places and worth exploring.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(Dieter @ Apr. 18 2008,12:37) Seefood.....Seefood Palace Soi 22 ??
        That joint is a rip-off - try Somboon Seafood on Rachada.

Been twice with Snick and it's great
        seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

(katoeylover @ Apr. 17 2008,23:44) Bet you get laid after you take your special one there!  
          Been there twice KL and both times I managed to swerve the bill. Former clients of mine from Hong Kong asked me to nominate a nice place for dinner and having read about this place on Simon Napier-Bell's website decided it was worth a look.....fuck was I impressed But as marshall alluded to, rain would make it a non runner

By the way, this web site is very interesting; Napier-Bell was the manager of Wham, he is openly gay and spends much of his life in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Comment

(pentire @ Apr. 18 2008,06:04) High above the Silom District of Bangkok and on the 63rd floor of the State Tower you shall find one of the best restaurants in the World...I Promise You !

Sirocco is a truly magnificent venue and the food is as good as I have eaten anywhere in my life.

Book a few days in advance.

My Favourite Restaurant In the World
            I don't want to get into a pissing match here, but it does seem to me that a balancing view is needed before somebody runs out without knowing any more than this and plunks down a fortune based on this recommendation.

I have been reasonably well acquainted with both the owner and the GM of the State Tower places for some time now, going back to when all of the venues there were only in the planning stage. In my view, they all add up to nothing but a second-rate hustle, run by the culinary equivalent of some Beach Road Indian tailors, pitched strictly at people who don't know any better. And that's exactly what they were always meant to be.

Their much publicized 'millionaire's dinner,' for example, was an outright fraud and the subject of general levity in both the Thai and English language press here. Their latest fiasco of an 'internationally renowned event' crashed and burned when none of the 'great chefs' they invited would come. The truth of the matter is this: no local resident who is even remotely sophisticated about the restaurants he chooses would even think of going to the State Tower.

It's strictly a place for clueless, small-town tourists to play big-shot with their Issan girl friends, paying through the nose for a standard of food that is, at best, equivalent to first class airline food on a second class airline. Think United Airlines as an overall experience and you've pretty much got this place nailed.

Comment

High above the Silom District of Bangkok and on the 63rd floor of the State Tower you shall find one of the best restaurants in the World...I Promise You !

Sirocco is a truly magnificent venue and the food is as good as I have eaten anywhere in my life.
              I am all for fine dining but this restaurant would not make it into my top five for food in Bangkok.

The views are great and it is worth going to Distil or whatever it is called now on the same floor.

Sirocco though is totally over hyped and may I say over priced for the quality you get.

That said the hotel itself offers some great accommodation at excellent rates all suites (only no rooms) are min 60 sqm. Pool is not that great and nor is the location really.

If you want some nice views and less of the hype try V9 at the Sofitel Silom.

Comment

Some of my favs:

Italian: Beccofino on Thonglor - contemporary but excellent food and wine (not cheap). Zanotti on Saladaeng (reservations are needed and not cheap too). I have yet to find better than these two in Bangkok.

Thai/Seafood - Won't tell you. Sorry cos the best are not in the centre. Recently went to one not far from the centre where it cost me three times the amount of one of my favourites which need a little travel time and are much better quality.

Indian: Without a doubt the best two are the ones at the Holiday Inn Silom and Rembrandt hotels. Wow. But if you want cheap and good then go to Arab Street between soi Sukhumvit 3 and 5.

Laos: Vientiane kitchen on Soi 36. They even serve ant eggs which you shoudl try as they are good. If you are with  a bar girl she will love this place.

Easy Thai / Asian: Somboon: Full of tourists and a few locals with farangs. Picture menu makes ordering easy. No fuss restaurant just like in Hong Kong where the food is more important than the decoration

Mixed: Central Chidlom Food Loft 7th floor - Everything wow and some of the best Vietnamese spring rolls, outside Vietnam,  I have ever tasted.

Pub Food: Go home!! unless you live here for long time.

None of these are fine dining experiences. But Excellent food at good prices. Bangkok is getting more expensive by the day but there are still some great bargains to be had.

If you want buffets Lord Jims at the Oriental.

Sunday Brunch then the Four Seasons (pricey but wow) and the Sukhothaion Sathorn.

But if you want the best Thai food look a little outside the centre, or try street food.

Bon apetit.

Now if someone could tell me where I can find a good steak and kidney pudding chips peas and gravy here in Bangkok then wow.

Comment

(pentire @ Apr. 18 2008,06:04) High above the Silom District of Bangkok and on the 63rd floor of the State Tower you shall find one of the best restaurants in the World...I Promise You !

i agree

Comment

(SukhumvitRoad @ Apr. 20 2008,13:27)

I don't want to get into a pissing match here, but it does seem to me that a balancing view is needed before somebody runs out without knowing any more than this and plunks down a fortune based on this recommendation.

I have been reasonably well acquainted with both the owner and the GM of the State Tower places for some time now, going back to when all of the venues there were only in the planning stage. In my view, they all add up to nothing but a second-rate hustle, run by the culinary equivalent of some Beach Road Indian tailors, pitched strictly at people who don't know any better. And that's exactly what they were always meant to be.

Their much publicized 'millionaire's dinner,' for example, was an outright fraud and the subject of general levity in both the Thai and English language press here. Their latest fiasco of an 'internationally renowned event' crashed and burned when none of the 'great chefs' they invited would come. The truth of the matter is this: no local resident who is even remotely sophisticated about the restaurants he chooses would even think of going to the State Tower.

It's strictly a place for clueless, small-town tourists to play big-shot with their Issan girl friends, paying through the nose for a standard of food that is, at best, equivalent to first class airline food on a second class airline. Think United Airlines as an overall experience and you've pretty much got this place nailed.
                    God I love your assessment, but did you have your heart broken in this place or what! €œUmm sorry, me no marry you€

Comment

I agree - it hardly sounded like a "balancing view". When I read that, I expected a tale of average food, perhaps the shallots were over done etc, not a diatribe about "a standard of food that is, at best, equivalent to first class airline food on a second class airline"

However, I think the key to Pentire's original post is that HE thought it was good food and decided it was worth advising the BMs about.

Like Geosight, I believe you must have had a bad experience to flame the place so severely (if I have a bad culinary experience, I simply decide not to go back - not savage it to death on a web board... mind you, maybe I would if the food tasted like shit, the service was bad and the waitress refused to blow me. But then I'm picky).

Bottom line for me is if the food tastes good TO ME at a price that is agreeable TO ME, then chances are I, like Pentire, might give the place the proverbial Paul McCartney thumbs aloft.

Hey, maybe this is a new form of marketing! Your destruction of the place has actually made me want to go and check it out for myself (actually, the prices don't seem too bad TO ME) so I'll look forward to joining my peers "who don't know any better" and will report back.

Comment

Paying inflated prices doesn't guarantee anything in BKK for food, except that falang is gullible.  Example: MBK Food court (6th floor, not the smarty-pants version on floor 5) is hard to beat for quality thai food at 50 baht a dish.  Hoy Thod  

On the other hand, if I am looking for somewhere to impress a date (albeit unlikely in the company I keep ) I would trust the judgment of both Pentire and TheGame.

I see that Rosabieng (Sukh Soi 11) gets several mentions - and is my personal favourite ...  at very reasonable prices.
                        TT

Comment

I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world for eating out, but then again you could find bargains if you wanted to sit with the Indian labourers and eat their nosh. YMMV.

If I were to impress a date, I wouldn't do it at a restaurant just because the dishes have several 000s on the price. I would choose somewhere a) I have been before that left me with a good impression and combines ambience with good service or b) somewhere I haven't been before but which has been recommended by a colleague or peer.

Unless that cunt Oliver has anything to do with it...

Comment

Yip....they are really good between Shorttimes, cause I am to lazy to walk to Mc D....

Dieter
                            Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

Trying to impress a LB with a nice restaurant is a bit like asking a pacifist to tell you a war story...ain't gonna happen...

I recall going to Rosabieng (white table clothes, live music and all) one evening with 4 other couples...and I use that word loosely...

Well, being the chivalrous gentlemen that we all are, we folded up our menus and told the girls to order 2 dishes each...After they looked at us as if we were crazed, they each poured over the menu and with some coaxing and verbal adjustments on our part finally settled on our menu for the evening...

But ff we had let them I think that they would have ordered 8 versions of the same dish and been very happy...
                              "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I agree that taking a bar girl to a hi-so, expensive restaurant is a total waste of your time and money. The get intimidated in these surroundings, they can't appreciate fully the scope of the menu and if there are no Thai dishes they sit and wait for you to order something for them. I stopped doing this about three years ago, saved myself a lot of Baht and aggreviation. Let them suggest their favorite places to eat with their friends and you can't go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X