X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ryanthom;

what's your overall assessment of the behavior of individuals on this board (I mean, what do you think is their risk, not personal assessments) given what you say you've found in the LB bars.  I should ask what is the false +/- rate with the test strips that you use; and what you think the contagiousness is of protected; oral; unprotected sex with someone who is HIV+.  Clearly the risk isn't zero, and it's not 100% (or some of the posters to this board would have been HIV+ years ago).  Additionally, any ladyboy who works at a LB bar has probably had literally 100s, maybe 1000s of partners, and we know that they don't seem to be particular about protection (or at least that is what I have found.)  And we know a lot of the LBs are drug users (though perhaps yabba is the drug of choice and that is taken orally).  

You've raised my interest enough to wonder what exactly this means.  If the 60% stat is really true, there is no reason that the sex industry in Thailand shouldn't implode ... yesterday

Comment

i wish i could prove the 60% statistic- hopefully something official will be released in the future. if i gave any specifics out someone would loose their job and the girls may loose faith in the people doing the tests. by the way the general STD rate is much higher than 60% so don't forget thos hep b vaccinations.

for anyone interested; i finnished my month of PEP treatment, it wasn't very pleasant- lots of nausea and diahorrea.

Comment

Well, I've looked around the internet, and it seems that in 1991, tests showed a 50% rate in sex workers (though a lot of that was at the Burma border), and I found the following on avert.org which would lead me to believe your stats

It has been recognised from the start of the epidemic in Thailand that most HIV infections were occurring through commercial sex, and major efforts were made to reduce the number of men visiting female sex workers and to promote condom use in all commercial and casual sexual interactions. These efforts significantly changed the levels of risk behaviour in Thailand. The known HIV infection rate among sex workers was reduced from 50% in 1991 to 20% in 2001. However, the prevalence rate of HIV in sex workers, although reduced, is still high. Condom use among indirect sex workers is low and there is evidence that HIV prevalence is on the rise among sex workers in some parts of the country, particularly in Bangkok.

Here is a table I found on transmission rates from wikipedia

Estimated per act risk for acquisition of HIV by exposure route[40]
        Exposure Route Estimated infections per 10,000 exposures to an infected source
        Blood Transfusion 9,000[41]
        Childbirth 2,500[42]
        Needle-sharing injection drug use 67[43]
        Receptive anal intercourse* 50[44][45]
        Percutaneous needle stick 30[46]
        Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse* 10[44][45][47]
        Insertive anal intercourse* 6.5[44][45]
        Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse* 5[44][45]
        Receptive oral intercourse* 1[45]§
        Insertive oral intercourse* 0.5[45]§
        * assuming no condom use

§ Source refers to oral intercourse performed on a man

Comment

(ryanthom @ Sep. 06 2006,12:59)
          (Agent69 @ Sep. 06 2006,08:16)
          (ryanthom @ Sep. 05 2006,16:20) In regards to the test group in Nana Plaza I was called to oversee the application of HIV test kits which allow for results within 15 minutes. I am not aware of the legal proceedings of how the raid went down, but I was told that all girls had signed some kind of waiver. By the time I arrived there was already a crowd outside the bar and several police officers enforcing a strict no-entry/exit policy.

The tests where conducted in the bar itself while customers where asked to wait outside. After the results showed 2 Thai Doctors talked to the girls that where positive and urged them to come to Hospital for further lab testing to verify the results. The Manager was then questioned by the Thai police and taken to the station for further questioning.

marthi, I have send you an PM with the exact date of the raid and the name of the bar so that you can verify the information if you wish

AND

that's an interesting point- whether doctors would do an operation on a person who is hiv positive?

your 4-5% maybe accurate in other sectors, but not the pattaya LB scene. i'm not sure if i should be saying this but one day approx. 3 weeks ago 35 random LBs were given a free test in pattaya. they were a mixture of LBs (street/bar/cabaret girls). 22 were positive! the person who told me this has often said the overall figure is around 60%, and much more have other STDs.
          I have a bit of trouble actually visualizing such a 'raid' ... perhaps I haven't been around the scene enough, but I would think most customers would leave in the time it would take to test 65 girls (you must draw blood, right?) ... The 60% figure seems high; how does that compare to, say, active homosexual communities in San Francisco (which I would think would be as high or higher)?

Assuming this is a correct figure, I guess you could still reassure yourself that most HIV+ people actually have very low viral loads (until they get full blown AIDS).  The greatest concentration (80%) is in the gut, which is why anal sex is more dangerous.  But sex is only really dangerous in the first month or so after your partner becomes HIV+
          We did not draw lood with a syringe, we used a finger pricker which only draws one drop of blood which is then applied to a test stripe. Results are shown within 15 minutes, one stripe negative, two stripes  positive, same like a pregnancy test.

Regarding Viral Loads you are wrong. Newly infected persons can have up to half a million copies per cubic milliliter of blood, which is about the same as end stage AIDS. The reason for this is the still active state of the CD4 cells which combat the virus after initial infection. Eventually after 3-6 months the viral load will drop to about 10k-100k if not on Retroviral treatmeant.

Unless you have <50 copies per cubic milliliter, which is virtually impossible without treatment then you are still highly contagious. In tests it has been confirmed that it
          can take as little as 100 copies per cubic mililiter to infect another person.
          Ryanthom - just out of interest - why are these instant tests not used in Hospitals or STD clinics in the west? To the best of my knowledge and experience, every time I have had a HIV test its been done using something called a 'western blot test' or "elisa' test. either one seems to take 24 hours to get the results.

Cheers
          Mardhi

Comment

this is utter bullshit.

how can anyone make accurate tests by rigging up a laboratory in a strip joint in bangkok. how was this samples handled, and by whom?

and ryanthom can you explain how these viral load tests are done? i dont think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. i guess i am shooting the messenger here, or should i say the puppet in strings ..
            Unless you have <50 copies per cubic milliliter, which is virtually impossible without treatment..
            haha, some joker you are .. and now you will tell me you have first-hand experience with this??

We did not draw lood with a syringe, we used a finger pricker which only draws one drop of blood which is then applied to a test stripe. Results are shown within 15 minutes, one stripe negative, two stripes positive, same like a pregnancy test.

Regarding Viral Loads you are wrong. Newly infected persons can have up to half a million copies per cubic milliliter of blood, which is about the same as end stage AIDS. The reason for this is the still active state of the CD4 cells which combat the virus after initial infection. Eventually after 3-6 months the viral load will drop to about 10k-100k if not on Retroviral treatmeant.

Unless you have <50 copies per cubic milliliter, which is virtually impossible without treatment then you are still highly contagious. In tests it has been confirmed that it

Comment

(69billy @ Sep. 06 2006,08:32)
              (olekunde @ Sep. 05 2006,06:33) , would you put your uncovered dick where the scab infested dick of billy has been ??
              Mey be it was the brown stuff on my cock you was greedly sucking...
              I know you miss it so here it is, just for you...
              hey, billy! i suspect you're a faggot, your dick tasted shit

Comment

(olekunde @ Sep. 06 2006,21:07) this is utter bullshit.

how can anyone make accurate tests by rigging up a laboratory in a strip joint in bangkok. how was this samples handled, and by whom?

and ryanthom can you explain how these viral load tests are done? i dont think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. i guess i am shooting the messenger here, or should i say the puppet in strings ..
                Unless you have <50 copies per cubic milliliter, which is virtually impossible without treatment..
                haha, some joker you are .. and now you will tell me you have first-hand experience with this??

We did not draw lood with a syringe, we used a finger pricker which only draws one drop of blood which is then applied to a test stripe. Results are shown within 15 minutes, one stripe negative, two stripes  positive, same like a pregnancy test.

Excuse me, but your reply is so uneducated that it borders on stupidity.

Viral load tests are always conducted in a lab and are standard practice in conjunction with CD4 count tests. Actually Viral load tests are the preferred method on checking up patients with HIV these days since it gives an accurate picture of the overall spread of the virus in the body.

There was no rigging in the bar. These where medically sterile sealed HIV tests that can be applied anywhere. They have an accuracy of 99.6% but need to be followed up an Antibody/Antigen test if positive.

I do not mind criticism, but such remarks really prove how ignorant some people are when faced with facts. So instead of wasting my time here trying to answer your questions i will now refrain from doing so.

I will however still answer questions via PM and will gladly meet up with anyone in Bangkok during my stay on which i would like to show my line of work and also open your eyes to parts of Bangkok you most likely have not seen yet.

Kind regards

Dr. Ryan T.

Comment

There is an article about the rapid AIDS test ryanthom says was used in his post.

NY Times Rapid Aids Test

Research on AIDS is fast moving, and it is difficult to keep up. I would not be so dismissive of the information ryanthom has posted until it can be confirmed.

As one of the veteran posters Blueballs would say "Be careful out there!"

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                  Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread
                  New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                  Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I do not mind criticism, but such remarks really prove how ignorant some people are when faced with facts
                    what facts?

Comment

(olekunde @ Sep. 06 2006,17:21)
                      I do not mind criticism, but such remarks really prove how ignorant some people are when faced with facts
                      what facts?
                      olekunde- why you being so hostile? the guy is trying to share valuble info with us and your just replying with ignorant shit.

Comment

(rayton @ Sep. 07 2006,05:47)
                        what facts?
                        olekunde- why you being so hostile? the guy is trying to share valuble info with us and your just replying with ignorant shit.
                        Up The Ass Of Every Successful Business Man Lies a Ladboys Thick Long Cock!

Comment

(rayton @ Sep. 06 2006,17:47)
                          what facts?
                          Because he is an asshole...No second though an asshole is more useful....He is just a  

PS...
                          Now we know he is a cock sucker..and I won't let him suck my cock not even with a double condom..
                          So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

(69billy @ Sep. 06 2006,13:36)
                            (rayton @ Sep. 06 2006,17:47)
                            what facts?
                            Because he is an asshole...No second though an asshole is more useful....He is just a  

PS...
                            Now we know he is a cock sucker..and I won't let him suck my cock not even with a double condom..
                            yep  

Now that's an intelligent answer

RM
                            ain't life grand

Comment

yes, i am a cocksucker, and a happy one.

i'm not hostile, i just think it's in everybodys interest to keep the board as informative as possible. something it wouldn't be if every charlatan got the opportunity to post whatever was on their mind. if there where some documention of these testings i would gladly accept them.

just remind you what commotion there was when a guy posted that a [Popular BKK girl] was hiv+, it's just the same if you ask me ...

Comment

Ryan is right; you can surf around looking for 'Rapid HIV Test' and find lots of articles. Apparently only one is FDA approved in the US, but there are blood and oral tests around. They are new, within the last two years or so, but apparently accurate. I understand the reason they are not sold over the counter is that doctors feel that if you find you are HIV+, you should do so in a clinic where you can get immediate counseling.

Comment

Working...
                                X