Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the hoopla over Obama I suspect there is going to be a bit of dissappointment after he is in the Whitehouse a while. With that said he is light years ahead of McCain when it comes to matching up with my ideology. I lived the 60's and was part of the counterculture then so no real suprise on where I stand I suppose.

Comment

You have all stereotyped me as some right-wing-jerry-falwell-type. How wrong you are. We do have a few things in common. I also hate Ohio State; grew up in So Cal...Pac10 fan...go Trojans.

Comment

(alan1chef @ Oct. 20 2008,12:25) As for manipulating data to get us into war....let me refresh your aging memory....The Bay of Pigs...President Kennedy and the Democrats tried to get us into a war with Cuba....and the Democrats are so bad at it...they botched it up. Oh yes....the entire mess in Vietnam was a result of botched and manipulated intelligence by the Democrats. It was a Democratic President, LBJ, who sucked us into Vietnam and failed to handle the war properly.  He botched it up so badly, it cost him any chance at re-election. Lefty, you are forgetting your history.
        Absolutely right.

And history's lesson is don't fake intelligence to start a war, it doesn't end well.

Of course my recollection of the relevant history doesn't recall any forced renditions, secret prisons, authorized torture, or massive profiteering.
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Trojans? Never use them. Too small for me. I prefer Ramses Extra. Are they the only team named after a condom?

In the Iliad, the Trojans lost to the Greeks (Achaeans) (who btw have the distinction of having anal sex named after them)

Blood ran in torrents, drenched was all the earth,
          As Trojans and their alien helpers died.
          Here were men lying quelled by bitter death
          All up and down the city in their blood.
          “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
          ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Love it....

Comment

Now Al Qaida announce the favourite
              Guess who.
              "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

(alan1chef @ Oct. 20 2008,12:25) ....The Bay of Pigs...President Kennedy and the Democrats tried to get us into a war with Cuba....and the Democrats are so bad at it...they botched it up.
                It wasn't the President nor the Democrats that were pushing for war with Cuba,

it were the  5 star generals of the Pentagon who were demanding Kennedy strike first.

Left to them the World would have found itself in a Nuclear war, from which there are no winners.

Kennedy refused to be pushed around by these swaggering idiots & called for the advice of the former US ambassador to the USSR, Tommy Thomson, who gave him his answer.

By allowing Kruschev to save face & let him tell the Russians that America had backed down, the missiles were quickly returned to the USSR, thus averting what would have been an enormous catastrophe.

It took great strength of character to stare down his own chiefs-of-staff & defuse this volatile moment in world history.

One shudders to think how George W would have handled it.
                Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

From McCain's comments today about being "excited" as a young navy pilot to being assigned a strike mission against Cuba during the missile crisis...I would shudder to think how McCain would react to a similar standoff.

Bomb, bomb, bomb,
                  Bomb Iran

Comment

(alan1chef @ Oct. 20 2008,12:25) ....the entire mess in Vietnam was a result of botched and manipulated intelligence by the Democrats. It was a Democratic President, LBJ, who sucked us into Vietnam and failed to handle the war properly.  He botched it up so badly, it cost him any chance at re-election. Lefty, you are forgetting your history.
                    It certainly was botched intelligence that lead to 160,000 young American lives to be lost in Vietnam.

It was the Democrat President Johnson who authorised the bombing of Hanoi, after intense pressure from the same trigger happy 5 star Generals who nearly convinced Kennedy to bomb Cuba.

Unfortunately Johnson was no Kennedy & the reasons for bombing North Vietnam were just absurd, a giant fuck-up that is all revealed in the chilling documentary "The Fog of War" where an 85 y.o. Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Defense at the time all but admits that they over reacted to what was considered to be an attempted torpedo strike on an American gunship.

This must come as cold consolation for all those who either lost their lives or had their life destroyed by the insanity of fighting this pointless conflict.

25 years after the end of hostilities, McNamara met his Vietnamese opposite number who asked him:

"Tell me, why did the Americans ever invade us in the first place?"

McNamara replied that it was to stop the spread of communism from China to the north.

The Viet just shook his head in wonder & said "don't be ridiculous, our hostility & hatred for the Chinese stretches back 1000's of years. We hate them more than you do. Why were you interferring in our civilian war?"

McNamara said he felt like punching him but it was clear his anger was for the utter waste of it all & this poor sad old man sits looking at the camera & for a moment he nearly apologises, but just looks away with tears welling up in his eyes.

Maybe he didn't cry but I defy anyone to watch his revelations & not shed a tear for those who died.

When will they ever learn?

Comment

I seriously doubt that JFK would allow any generals to tell him what to do pacman. JFK was an experienced military man himself and I am certain he listened to whatever advice he got and in the end made his own decision.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Exactly! He took the generals advice & the advice of the US ambassador to the Soviet Union & he made the right decision.

Those present at the time tell of much pressure put on JFK to strike first. For the fact that he didn't, we can all be very grateful.

I am pleased you have changed your assessment of Kennedy, only a few posts back you were blaming him for trying to get the US into a war with Cuba.

Comment

A pretty funny bit from the Howard Stern Show:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p3OB6roAg

Comment

(EyeMahk @ Oct. 23 2008,06:59) Howard Stern
                            Howard is the man!

Been listening since the WNBC days.

Comment

(pacman @ Oct. 23 2008,14:10) I am pleased you have changed your assessment of Kennedy, only a few posts back you were blaming him for trying to get the US into a war with Cuba.
                              I believe the point Alan was trying to make was the ruskies wanted to test out the new boy and their pissing contest got out of hand. Not Kennedy's fault and thank fuck he made the right decision, but America's enemies will always test the limit and if a president is percieved as weak they will try things even more. It's certainly an Irony that a peace loving president will sometimes get you into a war a hawkish one could have avoided.

Personally think the Obama/Biden team is a much stronger one anyway on foreign affairs. We had some guy on the Channel 4 news here last night who worked for Reagan and correctly pointed out that McCain had worked for 30 years in the senate and chose Palin as his running mate? A govenor from Alaska? Surely he has met someone who has more experience in those thirlty years on the hill. He even called her a "comedian."

I just hope the Israel doesn't say fuck it, we're bombing Iran and there's nothing you can do about it. It's very possible in the next 4 years and will be certainly be up there in terms of turning points in world history. Hopefully Obama makes the right choice's as Kennedy did.
                              Beer Baron

Comment

(PigDogg @ Oct. 23 2008,12:55)
                                (EyeMahk @ Oct. 23 2008,06:59) Howard Stern
                                Howard is the man!        

Been listening since the WNBC days.
                                I remember him at WWWW in Ann Arbor. It was a rock station in the late sixties and early seventies that converted to cuntry

Another GOPer has moved to the "Darkside"

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008....r-obama

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
                                ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Working...
                                X