Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a thoughtful commentary on page four of The Independent newspaper in the UK today by Hans Kochler,a UN observer at the Megrahi trial.

Lots of crucial observations relating to the curious court proceedings and verdict,for example : "A luggage storage room used by Pan AM at Heathrow was broken into on the night of the bombing,and yet this information was withheld..."

The conclusion is that the trial was a judicial farce,determined to produce an acceptable political outcome,and that Megrahi was sacrificed for nations to regroup.

Comment

scotland the brave

Comment

(tim1212 @ Aug. 21 2009,13:54) a man from a so called civalised country who runs a torture camp in cuba 4 me has no grounds to speak
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Please excuse me while I stitch up my sides from laughter.

Are you SERIOUSLY calling Obama incredible because of Guantanamo? Are you really that fucking retarded? Wow. Obama is the man who is CLOSING the Guantanamo Bay prison.

Please take off your tin foil hat before you resume posting. Calling Obama a non-credible person to speak on this issue is just stupid.

Comment

(robbo @ Aug. 21 2009,18:06) and TTchang yes it is the ones who died at lockerbie who have the right  to opinion and judgement, possible compassion before  you me or anyone else............howver they had their right taken away.
          I don't agree with that. Like it or not, this was not a 'normal' situation with a simple binary right/wrong answer.

The world was looking at Scotland as a whole on this one, and I think that is the view that McKaskill took. Whatever decision he took was going to say something about a whole country and its values.

As a Jock, I could instinctively feel that decision coming, even though I found it hard to logically argue for it. Call it weakness if you like, or others might call it strength through compassion.......but it is real.

I am with TT on this one. The victims families of course had the right to their opinion, but so did lots of other people.
          Mister Arse

Comment

But surely in order to be released on compassionate grounds he must show remorse for his actions. He never has and never did anything for the family of his victims.

I do think however London is playing both sides of the coin trying to flog their arse to Gaddafi whilst at the same time playing the SNP as the bad guys to the US. But then a gutless Labour government is no suprise by now.

Still he's free to die now so not much point in arguing furhter. I still prefer that guy from Glasgow airport who kicked that other bomber in the balls so hard he nearly broke his foot. We should have done that to this guy as well.

Still thanks for a Scottish opinion.
            Beer Baron

Comment

Dumbo with a very large capital D.........
              question 1 for you.........what was he convicted of? regardless of how guilty or not you or anybody else "thinks ,he might be" " might not be""mayby errr i dont know ""im not sure ,errrrr"..... whats the fuckin real answer twat.
              as for compassion,being guilty,as indeed that is still is the case,compassion has no place here for people such as these,its a non starter as his very actions forfeit many of his own rights.he was shown compassion if you want to use the term ,after his conviction he was able to live ,was given food care and a stable if limited life style and was looked after.he was not executed as he executed others
              and one more thing this has nothing to do with a country or what fuckin tartan you like to have on your dress(or kilt for you brave scots men"
              this is about a matter of law only,and the most fundamental common law at that.
              it is perfectly clear on point of law and common sense and not a matter of "what you think" or "my opinion"
              you also show complete disespect for the lives of those dead and their families and indeed victims of such acts yet to happen,and they will.you are ,in sense on the same level as the bomber.

god forbid if i ever had to stand next to you in a war when my life may depend on someone such as you i think id feel safer bayoneting you and going it alone,at least i wouldnt have to watch my back for the spineless.

yes it is a right or wrong situation, the rest you seem to want to add in to the matter and confuse it
              so did lots of other people
              robbo

Comment

btw thats a reply for stewart
                robbo

Comment

Robbo,

I agree that if family, friends etc had been killed in this most horrific act then i would have very different views, as would anyone. I would want revenge at any cost.

That is why it is necessary to take the personal out of it, as hard as that might be. A parent of a child killed on the road is going to want revenge on the driver, a partner of a rape or murder victim would undoubtedly want the death penalty for the offender.

However this is not how civilised society can work, in my opinion. and society must act for the whole, not the minority.

I am awaiting the flaming..
                  seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Robbo, are you an American. It seems that nationality determines how "vengeful" the mentality of the country. You can't seem to see how twisted the "evidence" and "politics" of this entire saga has been. I introduced the shooting down of the Iranian CIVILIAN airliner in it's OWN airspace, by the US military warship USS Vincennes to show you that things don't happen in a vacuum. To this day the US has never apologised, yet you want the SOLE guy "convicted" for Lockerbie to apologise. He claims he had nothing to do with it. Alternative evidence shows that the CIA and others clearly did.

Comment

i wonder if they will let richard reid out now.?
                      he was a good looking fella.
                      you cant polish a turd.

Comment

Why would they - he's not dying

well maybe dying to get out!
                        seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

I'm not Scottish and I don't have a connection with this case but it seems odd to me that anyone would feel that a man has a right to freedom and a hero's welcome after being found guilty of murdering almost 300 people.

But that's the way the UK is today. The government has given out a free pass to criminals the world over to come here and just do what they want.

There is no deterrent to blow people up, rape people or stab them. Just a pat on the back by a slimy liberal government, loads of tax payers money and a nice place to live.

If I was Scottish I'd be thoroughly ashamed and humiliated by what their empty headed government is doing to their country. It's bad enough being English and seeing this kind of crap happen every day.

Comment

(robbo @ Aug. 22 2009,01:27) btw thats a reply for stewart
                            I burst into tears when I read it, so I assumed it was for me

I think the rest of your response says a lot about you as a person though.
                            Mister Arse

Comment

(geezer @ Aug. 22 2009,00:44)

But surely in order to be released on compassionate grounds he must show remorse for his actions. He never has and never did anything for the family of his victims.

Still thanks for a Scottish opinion.
                              No, being released on compassionate grounds is all about the system showing compassion, not the prisoner. That was one of the points that was repeated many times by MacAskill.

But if you are not guilty, as some people don't believe he is (and he was in the middle of his second appeal I think), then how do you show compassion for something you never did?

And I guarantee not every Jock will agree with what happened....just trying to throw a little light on maybe some of thinking behind it. I think Scotland is a million miles away from the "eye for an eye" kind of attitude found elsewhere.

I still prefer that guy from Glasgow airport who kicked that other bomber in the balls so hard he nearly broke his foot.
                              Ah...John Smeaton.....a legend!!

http://johnsmeaton.com

http://johnsmeaton.com/?page_id=5
                              Attached Files
                              Mister Arse

Comment

But if you are not guilty, as some people don't believe he is...
                                Er, he seems happy enough to take the credit for it now doesn't he?  
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X