X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Pacman
    sorry I remember reading that you loved that place and I went there and it was average at best
    I like the restaurants in the Loft at that fancy Mall.

Comment

• Agreed! Average at best & it was obvious that something had changed at Cucumbers between visits.

I hate giving bad advice & I am sorry if anyone spent money there only to be disappointed.

Do any of the restaurants in the Loft make good Thai food? I will check it out next visit.
      Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

• yes the Thai place was great. The food was excellent and the service incredible and it is really fancy fast food style but very good

Comment

• I love a nice Roast Dinner and can recommend Rosie O Gradies down Soi 7. The Roast Pork is favourite and comes with all the trimmings. And the meal is big and value very good . After that i usually follow up with  homemade Apple Pie with ice cream then the regulation pot of tea.

Walking down Soi7 afterwards i feel like a Blimp with all that grub tucked away

Also use it for English breakfast now although the full monty that they sell should come with an advice sheet from the International Heart Foundation. I cant believe anyone can eat a meal so big , maybe they have a few guys like "Jaws" as regulars... i dont know.

The owner is a very nice guy and very welcoming.

Thumbs up chaps ( im hungry now after writing this)

Comment

• (pacman @ Feb. 28 2010,05:55) Cucumbers
            Near Cucumbers is Or-A-Han. Great food but no atmosphere. Open 5PM till about 1 or 2.

Comment

• Tomcat what the hell are you eating Roast Pork for? I thought you were muslim

Comment

• One of the best, cheaper western meals I have had in Pattaya is the 99 baht special on Monday night at here:

Le Strogonoff Restaurant

on Soi 13/1, about 50-100 meters from Beach Road, across and down a few doors from where La Bamba used to be.

Monday night is a very good chicken curry pastry, then a good size plate of perfectly-cooked spaghetti, followed by a small bowl of ice-cream.  It is a French restaurant and whomever is cooking has been taught or supervised well.  Most of the customers I heard were speaking French.  

Portions of the 99 baht special are probably not huge, but certainly enough.

Most of the other menu items are quite expensive, but their 99 baht deal cannot be beat.  Best find of my trip last week, other than the 5pm Beach Road pickup I had before the meal!  

Main courses of the other days 99 baht special are:

Mon: chicken curry pastry and spaghetti
                Tues: Chicken Basquaise
                Weds: Pork Filet
                Thurs: Spaghetti with ham and mushrooms
                Fri: Fried chicken
                Sat: Fish filet
                Sun: pork of some kind

I will be there tonight, Monday, so if anyone wants to join, drop me a message.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Robin's Nest on Soi Diana has a good 99 baht buffet on Mon-Tue-Wed but I always wind up eating to much so I just stay away now.

Comment

•       eat too mutt, make pompui...    

As for Le Strogonoff, 99 baht for 3 courses! That says plenty about how business is in Pattaya. Good to hear that the food is good, I hope they make money on the drinks.

I guess this has replaced the 250 baht special they offered for years. Le Strog is a nice little spot for some French food plus they have a Thai menu for your date.
                    Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

• (pacman @ Mar. 01 2010,12:02) As for Le Strogonoff, 99 baht for 3 courses! That says plenty about how business is in Pattaya.
                      They must be hurting after the closure of La Bamba.

Basic economics really

Although, I must say that Rossco was extremely fond of the place and dragged me there on a number of occasions.

I'll give it a whirl again in a few weeks time and post my critique.

Cheers
                      Koykaeng
                      Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

• This is a common situation in Pattaya - food is for the most part subsidised by drink sales, coupled with volume of diners in the logic of the owner but its actually not sustainable as he is probably finding out - having gone from 250b down to 99b shows just how dumb the owner is (raw food costs have risen approx: 25% over the last 3 months).

I have eaten in there and at 250b I thought it was too cheap for what he was offering - and told him so - then he goes and drops it to 99b !!! The lasting impression he is portraying is that he is a 99b restaurant - nobody will be touching his a la carte menu as they will be assuming its the same low quality of ingrediants (which it will be) at 3-5 times the price. Give it another 4 months and the place will be closed (or he will be continuing to dump a fortune into it every month of other money). The customers will be encouraging him on - but its a one way street as far as he is concerned and he is heading down to failure I am afraid.

Cheers
                        Mardhi

Comment

• (mardhi @ Mar. 01 2010,13:08) The lasting impression he is portraying is that he is a 99b restaurant - nobody will be touching his a la carte menu as they will be assuming its the same low quality of ingrediants (which it will be) at 3-5 times the price.
                          When I was there last Monday, the place only had one other table empty, so it was doing a good business, and when I looked around, most people were eating dishes that were NOT the special, but the expensive items from the menu.  Just me and one or two other people were eating the special.  

A can of coke was 30 or 40 baht, I forget which.

My guess is that these people are regulars who like the food .. more than 1/2 had a glass or bottle of wine at the table.  So who knows what his goal is in bringing Bumblebee and me in for 99 baht.  

On the next soi (13/2) is another French-owned place, not a restaurant but a bar.  It is Riviera Beach near 2nd Road.  It was always filled with French-speaking people. So there must be French clientele in the area. Two LBs used to work there, both very good in the sack.  Mimi and Poopay (who spoke a bit of French). Poopay said she was getting married - maybe she get sick of me fucking her and this was her excuse    - and Mimi hangs around Walking Street late at night.  

Comment

• (koykaeng @ Mar. 01 2010,12:31) They must be hurting after the closure of La Bamba.
                            did I miss some news???

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

• (EyeMahk @ Mar. 01 2010,13:34) On the next soi (13/2) is another French-owned place, not a restaurant but a bar.  It is Riviera Beach near 2nd Road.  It was always filled with French-speaking people.
                              Sounds like a good reason to stay away

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

• (Katoeyloverguy @ Mar. 01 2010,07:23) I thought you were muslim
                                Who the fuck let this idiot out of the Loony bin .

Comment

Working...
                                X